Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing Status 2020/1/9 22:30
I emailed the immigration website asking about changing status from temporary visitor status to spouse of a Japanese national.
They told me that you can't change your status as a temporary visitor, but I also read on their website that you can under exceptional circumstances. I think changing from temporary to spouse status is allowed but the person responding to my email may have not understood my circumstances completely.

Is it possible to change status from temporary visitor to spouse?
by Goosie  

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/10 08:30
First of all there is email address of jaoan immigration they don't have any email for contact. I don't know who you contacted and about changing status it's definitely allowed you can change your status I also changed my status from temporary visitor to spouse and also a lot of people who I know you just first get married and prepared all the required documents and go to immigration for change of status.
by Asian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/10 08:47
When you want to change your status to some other one, such as "Temporary Visitor" to "Spouse or Child of Japanese National", you can file an application for change of status. Crucially, this is not the same thing as applying for a visa, hence a CoE is not required. Also, if your current status expires while your application is still processing, you can stay for an additional two months.

Link below
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/10 08:59
as you already answered by yourself, "under exceptional circumstances" you can ask it. but, "under ordinary circumstances" you can't do it.

when you ask about changing status from temporary visitor status to spouse of a Japanese national, the answer is "no, you can't."
you need to add the explanation how your circumstances are under exceptional circumstances.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/10 09:07
by Anonymous once again (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/10 13:03
Ken@ken you are totally wrong misinformed.
by Asian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/14 11:31
On Reddit and also on a japan Facebook group Ifve read 2 or 3 reports in the last 4 months that doing a change of status is no longer allowed. People were told to go back to their home country and apply for a visa at the Japanese embassy.
I hope this isnft the case because Ifm going to marry my fiancée next month after arriving as a tourist and then attempt to change to spouse. Ifll post when I find out what happens.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/15 01:52
@Max
Thank you, I really hope that it works out for you. Please do post your results, as your situation would be very similar to mine. I have heard that they do strongly urge going back to your home country and applying for a CoE, however I do believe it is within the law to change your status to spouse whilst on a tourist visa. It's a bit unconventional, but possible so I am aware.
On Japan's ministry of Justice website, it says that you can only change your status from tourist if you are changing it to spouse of a Japanese national. It isn't guarenteed but allowed. I hope that this is still how things are.
Good luck to you, again, please do remember to post your results and any important details you can give! Thank you :)
by Goosie rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/15 10:44
Max and Goosie,

Please read this thread gno more change of status?h; the rumors mentioned by the OP in this thread is true.
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+170940

Immigration authorities have changed their operation (no written rule or law changed though) as of August 1st, 2019. I heard of this from a reliable source (immigration lawyer). But as usual, the immigration authorities are not consistent in their application of whatever guidelines they havec

They have always been saying that a change from temporary visitor to other status is allowed under special circumstances, but they have been granting such changes so far, but:
- No change of resident status from temporary visitor to work-related (employer-sponsored) resident status allowed. You will be instructed to leave once and go the CoE way.
- When it comes to a change from temporary visitor to family-based (such as Spouse of Japanese national), there isnft even a guideline. So this might still be allowed.
by anonymous once again (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/15 19:43
@Guest
Thank you, yes I do believe that changing from temporary to a work-related visa is impossible now.
I'm beginning to think - considering all the information - that the special circumstances would come under wanting to stay and live with your spouse. Since you say there is no guidelines for changing from temporary visitor to spouse, it gives me a feeling spouse is under special circumstances.

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/15 19:59
Goosie,

Yes, that is my gut feeling too – having to leave your spouse for how many months you donft know (in case you go the CoE path and it takes a long time) by itself is painful in any case. If there is a situation like the non-Japanese spouse is unable to support herself/himself if he has to stay away alone, etc., that might add to the gspecial circumstancesh too.

I just laid out the information I obtained from an expert I know personally, and this is what he told me (gany change in the handling of application of change from temporary visitor to family-based status such as spouse?h – gunknown yet.h) Best wishes that things go well for you.
by anonymous once again (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/15 22:10
@Guest
Thank you very much for imparting your knowledge to me.
I would do a COE application, but as we're not married yet it would be impossible. When I go to Japan in April, we will get married and apply for the change of status from temporary visitor to spouse on the same trip.
I've collected our call history and made documents with pictures of us together, that'll hopefully prove our marriage is genuine.
I'm just gonna go for it. If it works, amazing. If it is denied and I'm urged to do a COE then I'll just go back to the UK and do that. Hopefully the change of status works!
It seems to be completely possible and within the law. So it's worth a shot.
Thank you again.

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/19 20:50
@Goosie

Waw it's just like reading my own story and plan here! The only difference is am more restricted because I live in a country where getting a visa is not that easy so traveling is is made very difficult X)

My Spouse and I decided to get married this year in April as well~ we have been together in LDR for 4 years now,i just picked up her "guarantor" papers today to apply for a visa, I am also in the process of collecting our proof of contact (photos of phone calls/ packages/messages/ and since we met last year for the first time in another country,our photos together) and hopefully hopefully Hopefully this will be enough to recognize the marriage as a real one.

But now am getting worried because I read that people from countries like mine will only get a short term visa (30 days) so they will not accept thier request to change the status of this visa and chances of not recognizing the marriage as legit one is high x(.(I am more worried and confused)

However we decided to hire an immigration lawyer and let him/her take care of the process for us.
Do you guys think it's a good idea to do so?
by Shenron rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/20 03:36
@Shenron
So you will be applying for a change of status, not a visa :D
If you are already married, you can apply for a COE (Certificate of Eligiblity) from your country. That is an easier process. I would look into that if you're already married.
If you're not yet married, then you're in the same situation as me and trying a change of status, too :)
If I may ask, how much did you pay for your laywer? I'm considering hiring one too, because I want to make sure it's accurate.
I have heard hiring a lawyer can smoothen things out. So not a bad choice.

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/20 08:18
@Goosie

Yes I am not married married yet so am in the same situation. But I need to apply for a visa in my country first in order to visit Japan x)

My main concern is being able to stay in Japan while the immigration bureau process our marriage and deems deems it legit.
We hope that a lawyer will assist in making this goes smoothly and avoid any mistakes that could cause us problems, so far the lawyer I spoken with said he will take my case for \44000.
I ll be having my spouse contact him and we will hire him as soon as I come to Japan.
by Shenron rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Status 2020/1/20 22:59
@Shenron
Sorry I misunderstood you hehe. I see, well if it makes you feel any more at ease. The marriage process in Japan takes about an hour they say as long as your paperwork is correct.
And, once your application for change of status has been accepted and is pending, you can apparently stay for another 2 months while the application is processed :)

reply to this thread