Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kusatsu onsen, one day? from Tokyo 2020/1/10 00:14
Hello,

I am planning my schedule for my summer trip, one of my stops would be Kusatsu Onsen and I'd come from Tokyo, should I overnight there? or it is OK if I pick an early train and come back to Tokyo, I already have a night in Tokyo and cannot cancel it , what would you do?
by Peter1986  

Re: Kusatsu onsen, one day? from Tokyo 2020/1/10 08:25
Hi, I would overnight there. Out of the onsen towns I've been to, Kusatsu is the most fun at night with everyone milling about in the town centre with their yukata on and the sulphur flow is all lit up.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu onsen, one day? from Tokyo 2020/1/10 08:39
Onsen is more than just bathing - you need to experience the whole ryokan culture. Personally, one night is too rushing for me. But if your schedule is very tight, one night is better than no night. Learn to relax at an onsen.
by Zuby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu onsen, one day? from Tokyo 2020/1/10 09:51
One thing I would mention is that if you are looking to overnight (or two) make sure that your room has air conditioning. We stayed 2 nights in a good ryokan at Kusatsu, nice room but no air conditioning (first time that has happened to us). It was early may last year which was unseasonably warm and we nearly cooked in the room - though that did encourage us to get out and about at night which was fun.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu onsen, one day? from Tokyo 2020/1/10 20:46
All depends on what you plan to do/see in Kusatsu.

If you'd really like to soak up the onsen culture (pun fully intended, haha) then I agree with the previous comments - stay a night or two.

If you're happy with just a quick peek at the town and enjoying a nice, relaxing detour from the big city, then sure - a day trip will work. I've done that myself and thought it was well worth the time/effort ... but bear in mind that I speak from the perspective of one who loves visiting onsen towns and yet has never set foot in anything bigger than an ashiyu, and has no plans of dipping any deeper than that. (Yes I know that sounds bizarre but I'm really not a soaker; I won't burden you with the reasons.)

https://ittekuru.com/2019/05/05/field-report-kusatsu-onsen-gunma-japan...

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu onsen, one day? from Tokyo 2020/1/11 02:01
Finally I decided to book a night, although it won't be my first time in an onsen place, I've been before in Noboribetsu and Beppu, I think it will be worth, I bookd a ryokan 5 min walking from Yubatake with dinner and breakfast. Hope it will be worth
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu onsen, one day? from Tokyo 2020/1/11 09:10
By the way, is the town very big? considering I will overnight 1 night in a ryokan is it necessary to wake up very early to go there or if I arrive there let's say at midday it's enough to walk around the onsen town and have dinner and a walk at night?
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu onsen, one day? from Tokyo 2020/1/11 12:28

By the way, is the town very big?
No, it is a small place. Spend 3 to 6 hours, you'd see plenty.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread