Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Noise pollution: Japan/Taiwan 2020/1/11 18:37
Now I am in Taipei and the noise pollution can be a little rough.

How is the noise pollution in Japan?

Not a shot at Taiwan, but I was surprised and disappointed that loud blow horns speaking non stop recorded messages are tolerated. Street vendors often yell non stop for hours. Having this non stop in front of your home is not pleasant.
by AussieloveJapan  

Re: Noise pollution: Japan/Taiwan 2020/1/12 03:16
Depends a lot on where you live.

I lived in Setagaya-Ku in Tokyo in a very quiet road and the noisiest thing you could hear (but hell they are noisy) were cicadas in the summer.

However when I stay in a hotel close to my office in Osaka it gets noisy because there are planes overhead , a highway I front and an elevated subway all running at a few 100 m from the hotel.

However what doesnft exist in Japan is honking. Street vendors do exist and actually in my very quiet neighborhood there was one coming through every night.

So maybe look for a more quiet place in Taipei?
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Noise pollution: Japan/Taiwan 2020/1/12 08:49
I am a Chinese living in Japan. I can attest that Chinese are louder than Japanese.
by Tsao de Hen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Noise pollution: Japan/Taiwan 2020/1/12 17:17
I've lived in Japan and Taiwan. Japan is hands down quieter unless you live near an airport or freeway or such. Much less honking of horns and such....

Japan is a lot less unpredictable though - such as fireworks going off at 4AM in the morning because someone died 400 years ago on that day such as in Taiwan.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Noise pollution: Japan/Taiwan 2020/1/12 17:40
Japan does allow the megaphones from moving vehicles thing, and this particularly ramps up for political campaigning. This is probably more of a thing in major cities than in rural areas.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Noise pollution: Japan/Taiwan 2020/1/16 17:47
I have never had trouble sleeping in Japan due to noise. Once in Tokyo I could almost touch the concrete wall of the Shinkansen track from the hotel window but that still wasnLt loud enough to disturb.

Quality of buildings often plays an important part in noise levels. One level glass in windows for example.
by sullon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread