Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transfer from Shinkansen to Odoriko at Atami 2020/1/14 00:25
will arrive at Atami on the Shinkansen Kodama & transfer to the Odoriko to Izu-Inatori. Please advise how to get to the Odoriko platform & many mins will we need with luggage.
by traveljet  

Re: Transfer from Shinkansen to Odoriko at Atami 2020/1/14 10:17
Atami is a pretty small station. Probably 10 minutes to get to the transfer gate and another platform would be more than sufficient and probably doable in five without too much drama. Basically head down the escalator, through the transfer gate on 2F and down to 1F for access to the different local lines (i.e. back up to 2F for those platforms. Station layout /map:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e64.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer from Shinkansen to Odoriko at Atami 2020/1/14 11:04
Thanks for your response.

1) I noticed from your link that the legend shows (mustard colour) there is a large store inside the station. Do you know if there is a cafe or shop in the Atami station to look around without going out of the station?

2) I noticed there is another option to transfer at Odawara, depending on the Shinkansen & time I choose to depart.

Is Odawara more convenient to do the transfer?

by traveljet rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer from Shinkansen to Odoriko at Atami 2020/1/14 13:01
Odawara is a larger station and you actually have to exit the shinkansen section and walk across to the local lines. It's not hard, takes a few extra minutes. Depending where you are starting from (you don't say) if from Tokyo/Shinjuku then Odakyu railways might be an option for you. Of course the Odoriko starts from Tokyo Station.
Depending on your tickets (eg, on a JR pass or not), you could exit the station and visit some of the shops in the station building at Atami (my last visit I had some very tasty pasta) or the restaurants/shops in the nearby covered alleyways.

JR as a large corporate entity has hundreds of subsidiaries and as a major owner of property/land/buildings meaning many train stations are shopping/eating destinations.

Re: Transfer from Shinkansen to Odoriko at Atami 2020/1/14 14:22
Hi JCT,

Thanks for your response once again, much appreciated.
We won't be using the JR Pass but will just book our tickets at Nagoya Station (we stay 1N in Nagoya so there is time to do that). It's a pity there is no English website to book the Shinkansen and Odoriko from Nagoya in advance, unlike JR East.

We 3 adults (from Singapore) are taking the Shinkansen (either Kodama or Himari) from Nagoya and transferring to the Odoriko to Izu-Inatori.

We are travelling during the Kawazu sakura festival (1st week of March but weekday). So it's safer to take the Limited Express where we are assured of our seats since we do have luggages with us.

We won't exit the Atami station just to grab a bite because of our luggages (not that large but still can be troublesome). Just wondered if there was a cafe if we had time to waste during the transfer. But that's not a priority. Nevertheless thank you for your suggestion.

Re: Transfer from Shinkansen to Odoriko at Atami 2020/1/14 14:49
Atami or Odawara? I think you mean Odawara.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer from Shinkansen to Odoriko at Atami 2020/1/14 15:50
It's a pity there is no English website to book the Shinkansen and Odoriko from Nagoya in advance, unlike JR East.
There are websites where you can book in advance, but you would probably be best to use with an auto-translate. You can book the shinkansen for that leg on https://smart-ex.jp/top.php (or even via the JR West website) and it's pretty easy to use.
For the Odoriko, you can book with JR East via https://www.eki-net.com/top/index.html It is a JR East train.
Otherwise, there are agents that can get JR tickets for you in advance, but that involves a a handling fee (some are much more expensive than others).

Transfer at Atami would be better. Not all the Odoriko trains stop at Odawara.

Re: Transfer from Shinkansen to Odoriko at Atami 2020/1/14 22:22
Hi JCT,

I better book when I arrive in Nagoya to avoid any complications with online reservations. Itfs less hassle doing it at their Ticket Reservation office. I will take your advice about doing the transfer at Atami.

Thanks once again.

reply to this thread