Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/15 11:26
Hi all

I would like to seek advise on my upcoming trip to Japan from 10 - 18 April 2020.

10 - 14 Apr 2020 - Osaka/Kyoto
15 Apr 2020 - Alpine Route (Day it is supposed to open)
16 - 18 Apr 2020 - Takayama

I'm planning to leave Kyoto/Osaka on 15 Apr 2020 morning for Tateyama for a day trip.
If possible, I would like to complete the full route (Dentetsu Toyama – Shinano Omachi)
Then stay overnight at Omachi?
1.Is this feasible, or do you reckon I should stay in Toyama on 14 Apr 2020 instead to get an early start in the morning?
2.Should I purchase the Hokuriku Line Round Trip or am I better off paying for individual tickets?
3. Can I confirm that with the Dentetsu Toyama – Shinano Omachi route, I can visit the Kurobe Dam. I just cannot go on the lake as it's only open in June. Did I get it right?

I will then depart from Omachi for Takayama on 16 Apr 2020 morning as I plan to visit Kamikochi on 17 Apr 2020 when it opens. I fly from Osaka on 18 Apr 2020.

Thanks so much in advance.
by Suanz  

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/15 13:41
1) First day is gonna be super crowded, definitely recommend to stay the night before at Toyoma or Kanazawa for the early start and i think you need to purchase the Tateyama Kurobe Option Ticket 1 day in advance before the alpine route? (Someone correct me if i am wrong)

2) Get the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass since you are returning to Osaka.
Shinano Omachi to Toyoma (i suppose you are going by train to Takayama) and the Kamikochi sidetrip wont be covered by the pass though.

3) Yes, u will be able to visit the dam but trust me, u will spend more time at the snow corridor.

I got a suggestion, do you think if you are able to push your Alpine Route to the 16th, spend the night at Matsumoto and go to Kamikochi from there before heading to Takayama, less travelling that way and no need to detour.

by Delardino rate this post as useful

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/15 16:24
Hi Delardino

If I were to purchase the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass, I will still need to purchase the Tateyama Kurobe Option Ticket, correct?
In that case, wouldn't it be easier to just purchase the JR West gTateyama Kurobe Alpine Ticketh (Hokuriku Line Round Trip or Hokuriku and Chuo Line) which includes the Tateyama Kurobe Option Ticket

I do not need to go to Takayama. The reason why it is in my plans is to access Kamikochi.
Would the following plan be more practical?

Kanazawa (14 Apr)
Alpine Route (15 Apr) and overnight at Shinano Omachi
Matsumoto (16 & 17 Apr) whereby I visit Kamikochi on 17 Apr
Back to Osaka on 18 Apr

Many thanks in advance.
by Suanz rate this post as useful

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/15 16:55
Oh, there is such a pass from the West that includes the alpine option ticket? i didn't know about it and yes if it includes the alpine option ticket then it is definitely better. What is the price and valid for how many days?

Your 2nd plan is better,is there any accommodation u found in Shinano Omachi? I remember there is nothing much there, most probably u can straight go to Matsumoto for the night and for 17th i think u don't need to go back to Matsumoto, a seperate single trip to Takayama and from there the return to Osaka all should be cover under the pass?

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/15 17:22
To be honest, I'm not 100 percent sure of the JR West gTateyama Kurobe Alpine Ticketh (26880yen and valid for 8 days) but it does look like it includes the Tateyama Kurobe Option Ticket. However upon further study, it seems I cannot stop at Kanazawa or Matsumoto with this ticket. I will have to research more on this pass.

I found the info here - https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7551.html?aFROM=2157_7550 and https://www.alpen-route.com/en/courses/course10.html

Your suggestion of bypassing Shinano Omachi and going direct to Matsumoto is a good idea. Thanks!

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/16 18:10
The best thing about this pass from the 2nd link map is the returning to Osaka via Nagoya side which will save abit of time. but i check Changi Recommends and HIS, they ain't selling this pass, where can you purchase it, or isit only available in Japan?

Actually if you get the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass and Alpine Ticket separately, they add up to 24060, overall still cheaper plus if your flight back is late, u can do a quick drop by at Shirakawago since it is cover under this pass before taking the bus to Kanazawa to head back.

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/16 18:43
Yes, apparently it is only sold in Japan and can be purchased by both Japanese citizens and foreigners.
There is a dated thread on this - https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+123438.

Thanks for suggesting getting the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass and Alpine Ticket separately. However with my new schedule, it does seem that Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass is no longer feasible since it's only valid for 5 days and does not cover Matsumoto.

Osaka - 10 - 12 Apr
Toyama - 13, 14 Apr
Stay overnight in Alpine Route - 15 Apr
Matsumoto - 16, 17 Apr
Flying out of Osaka - 18 Apr

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/20 16:06
Hi Delardino

Just wanted to share the JR West replied that Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Ticket is only for domestic customers. Which I do not understand why it is not mentioned on the Alpine Route website, https://www.alpen-route.com/en/courses/course10.html

So it seems Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass will be the one closest to my itinerary.

However I am confused how to proceed from Shinano-Omachi using the pass. It does seem that I need to buy separate tickets for my travel from Shinano-Omachi to Matsumoto to Nagoya. Once in Nagoya, I can use the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass to get back to Osaka.

Did I get it right? If yes, it would mean that I need to reshuffle my dates to the following:

Osaka - 10 - 13 Apr nights
Toyama - 14 Apr night
Stay overnight in Alpine Route - 15 Apr night
Matsumoto - 16, 17 Apr nights
Flying out of Osaka - 18 Apr

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/20 17:04
Hi Suanz,

Yes, you definitely got to shuffle the dates. Actually 1 night in Toyama is better, there ain't really much things to do there.

However you cant go back Osaka directly from Nagoya with the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass, only can travel back via Kanazawa side.

I suppose you are still going to Kamikochi? Most probably the best solution to make full use of the pass is to stay 17th night at Takayama. From there either take the bus bypass Shirakawago to Kanazawa for the thunderbird back to Osaka, or change train to Toyama and Kanazawa then back Osaka.

Shinano-Ōmachi Station to Matsumoto Station by local line take less then an hour for 680 yen. Separate single trip ticket from Matsumoto to Osaka would be too costly imo.

Re: Alpine Route & Takayama in April 2020 2020/1/21 15:17
Hi Delardino

Just an update.
After going over your advice, I have decided to forego the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Pass and just pay for single trip tickets since I cannot use it from Shinano-Omachi onwards according to my itinerary.

Thanks so much for your precious input. Hopefully after all these planning, I am blessed with good weather for 15 and 17 Apr 2020 (Alpine Route & Kamikochi).

By the way, JR West confirmed that foreigners and local can buy the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Ticket however all info will be in Japanese, and details of the ticket for 2020, such as the sales period and how to purchase, have not been decided yet.

reply to this thread