Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 11:33
I currently hold an passport of a small islands. And I would like to re-new my passport.
Which they ask me to send to the embassy they have in US.
On the list, they would like me to pay by money or check.

But since I am in Japan so, I guess the only chance would be mailing it, I guess check would be the only way, not cash.

Is there anyway I can get U.S. Postal Money in Tokyo somewhere? Or any check that can be used in US.
I don't care about some fee, I just want the things to be done fast.

Wire is too troublesome on the other side, they are small islands and it might take months just for them to give me the swift information.
by koshinohouse  

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 11:52
I just realized maybe I can get an international money order from the Japan post office.

So the question is, if I send this international money order to US, will the people there be able to cash it at their local post office?

thank you so much.
by koshinohouse rate this post as useful

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 12:06
As far as I know, international gpostalh money order issued in Japan at a post office can be cashed in the US. Just that the recipient needs to take it to a post office in the US, not to a bank or not to a service counter in a supermarket, where some local money orders may be cashed.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 14:14
Are you not allowed to do a bank transfer? That would be so much easier than sending a physical check/money, considering if something happened to it.
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 15:12
Yes I can, but probably not them.

They are small country, and just waiting for the swift code information I probably will have to wait for half a year, not exaggerating.

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 15:17
I mean that you don't need to do a swift code or something like an actual bank transfer in that regard. There are banking services that you can use like transferwise. Look into them, you can transfer money from a Japanese bank to another bank around the world and it's super easy to do.

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 16:17
Why not putting the money in cash in USD in the envelope? You can get USD in Japan in a bank easily and youfd need to send that envelope with certified mail anyway I guess.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 16:48
Is that kind of illegal to do so? I am not sure... any thought on that regulation? I mean usually on the EMS, it says do not send cash

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/15 17:33
Sending cash overseas via postal service is not allowed, so you cannot write gcashh when you declare the contents for certified mail.
With an international postal money order, no one but the recipient can cash it, so itfs safe even if it stolen (and it can be sent via certified/registered mail).
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/16 08:57
Sending cash in the post may or may not be legal depending where you are sending it and who with. For example, the US postal service it is legal to send cash domestically (although potentially unwise.)
For Japan Post they have different requirements for what they will accept for different services. One of the lists I saw included passports, so you probably want to check with your local post office.
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/use/restriction/index_en.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Certified check to USA for passport renewal 2020/1/16 09:14
I would NEVER send money through the mail. Not only is it not allowed, it could easily be solen or confiscated. Sending a check is another story, but you still have to be careful doing that as people can intercept them and possibly change the name or amount on them. I would just do an online transfer as it's secure and fast.

reply to this thread