Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Back to Tourist Visa 2020/1/16 16:11
I will finish my Internship here in Japan at Feb 29th, which is also the date, that my visa expires.
Since I stll have a lot of Japanese friends I want to visit, I planned to stay in Japan for two more weeks after my designated visa expires.

My question now is:
Whats the best way to go about this? Making a visa-run to Korea and to re-enter with a tourist visa?
Or to go to an immigration office and ask them to grant me a tourist visa, after my Designated-Activities visa has expired?

Would appreciate the help very much
by phil (guest)  

Re: Back to Tourist Visa 2020/1/16 17:50
If you are from one of the visa waiver countries (you can just enter Japan with your passport and you get Temporary Visitor status granted are airport) , you should be able to apply for a change to Temporary Visitor status at an immigration bureau, but never wait till it has expired. You have to go apply while the current status is valid.

Feb. 29th is a Saturday this year - I hope you can negotiate with your employer to end your internship on the 27th so you can go to the immigration bureau on the 28th (a weekday) to apply for a change. If the employer says no, you simply need to leave by/on the 29th. Never overstay your resident status.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Back to Tourist Visa 2020/1/16 17:59
Cheers Mate...really appreciate your help 🙌
by phil (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread