Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

post-break up activities 2020/1/19 12:02
hello forum, i have various consultations to make. it all stems from a break up with my ex-fiance some time ago.

first is about the engagement ring. I want to sell it. Preferably at full price, but I know that's almost impossible and am ready to lose some money from the sale. Does anybody know any jewelry or place in Tokyo where I might be able to sell it at a fair price?

second is about a bicycle. my ex left her bicycle here in my apartment and i don't think she has any interest in getting it back. the bike is registered under her name, unfortunately. I have to move soon and the new place doesn't have parking space. is there anything i can do to sell or simply get rid of it? I would prefer not having to contact her to ask her to transfer the ownership to me.

thank you
by georg (guest)  

Re: post-break up activities 2020/1/20 01:15
The bicycle doesn't belong to you. Contact your ex-girlfriend and get her to deal with it. "I don't think she has any interest in getting it back" doesn't cut it.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: post-break up activities 2020/1/20 08:35
If the bicycle is on her name than just put it outside.
I would not even consider to make effort.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: post-break up activities 2020/1/20 10:10
uabout the engagement ring. I want to sell it. Preferably at full price, but I know that's almost impossiblev

Yep, that's impossible. No one is going to pay some random guy the same price for a used ring that thy would for a new one from the store.

If you didn't buy it too long ago, and it hasn't been used (i.e. your ex didn't actually wear it before she gave it back) there's a chance that you can get a refund from the store you bought it at. The chance of a refund is slim, but it's not 100-percent impossible (I personally know of one guy who got his money back after his proposal got shot down).

by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: post-break up activities 2020/1/20 14:37
there's a chance that you can get a refund from the store you bought it at.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually asked the store, but they didn't take it back. Yesterday I decided to go and visit several stores. Some of them offered ridiculous amounts of money (about 10% of it's original value), but then I found a store that offered a 35% and honestly I couldn't find a better deal. So I just sold it. At least i got some money back, and can finally get rid of the emotional load.

The bicycle doesn't belong to you.
Well yes, I know that. Sorry, but if she's not responsible to clean her own stuff, i need to find something to do with it. I'm under no obligation to convince her to deal with her stuff, so that's why i'm asking if there's any other way.

If the bicycle is on her name than just put it outside.
Thanks, this sounds like a good solution. If I do this, will it be taken by police? Will she get notified that her bicycle it's on hold somewhere? Or, even better is there any place where I can take it to by myself?

Thank you all for your help
by georg (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: post-break up activities 2020/1/20 19:07
Sorry to hear of your situation.

Bicycle: two things: physically getting rid of it, and getting rid of the registration. You can put it out as gsodai gomi (oversized rubbish)h by calling up your cityfs sanitation office to make a booking for pick-up (only on certain days) and then buying a sticker for the fee and putting it out on the day. The registration - If it is in her name, I donft think you can properly have the registration deleted (unless you know the shop where she got it from, and can show something that shows that you were at the same address).
A somewhat nasty way would be you just dump it out on the garbage collection site of your apartment when you move out, then the janitor would put a sticker on it saying please properly get rid of it, and then they might track her name and contact her (the garbage authorities or the janitor might just assume that she moved out and just left it there), upon which shefd be liable for proper disposal/they might ask her if she ever had her bicycle stolen, and she might say no, please dump itc
I just donft want you to get into trouble for ever getting stopped on the streets (randomly) by police while moving the bicycle and being questioned about whether the bicycle belongs to you, and answering no, it was your ex who moved out and left it, etc., and having to prove it.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: post-break up activities 2020/1/20 21:00
Regarding the bike: When I was moving out of my old apartment, I had a bike (which I owned and was registered in my name) with a broken brake and bent wheel. It was unrideable, and would have cost more than it was worth to repair it.

So the next time I heard one of those trucks going around the neighborhood with a recording saying they'll take old appliances/furniture/etc., I flagged it down and told the guy I wanted to get rid of a bike. It cost me 3,000 yen, and no one asked to see the registration paperwork.

Granted, that'd be 3,000 yen out of your pocket, but it would settle the bike problem, and honestly, that seems like pretty small amount to resolve the issue without a lot of back and forth negotiation with your ex.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: post-break up activities 2020/1/21 13:24
Ride (or walk) the bike to the nearest train station and park it in the bicycle area.

It will eventually get taken care of.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread