Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/20 10:26
I am reading that Shirakawago is really touristy with lots of tour buses. Is Gokayama similar but quieter? Would it be a better alternative?
by VPPATEL  

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/20 17:00
yes, it is way less touristic, but also much smaller.
and there are also no museums there. anyhow i liked it much better...

another spot which has similar houses, but little tourists is Hida Folk Village in Takayama, which is also overseen by most people
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/20 18:24
Consider Hida Mura in Takayama. Shirakawa-go is seriously small (despite the millions of tourists) and 90 minutes is more than enough for a visit.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/20 18:39
There are a couple of small folk museums in Ainokura and the washi workshop also.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/20 19:03
Shirakawago is super touristy now, so to enjoy the best experience it is better you book a night in one of the houses, although they are not so cheap , around 10.000 - 15.000 yen it is a great experience, totally worth it, usually includes dinner and breakfast. You can enjoy Shirakawago at early morning before the crowds arrive.

If you are interested in that search in Google "Japanese Guesthouses" and look acommodation there.
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/20 19:50
I went to Gokayama and Ainokura only (and to Hida no sato open air Museum).

I liked both Gokayama and Ainokura but best was Ainokura.

Not sure why @ glimpigumpi says that there are no museums in Gokayama. When I visited some 3 years ago there were definitely some houses you could visit from inside.

If you have a car and a lot of time I would do Gokayama and Ainokura. If you donft have that much time or no car, I would do Takayama and Hida no sato folk museum.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/21 10:00
Thank you everyone!
Are there similar places near Tokyo or Kyoto that we can go to?
by VPPATEL rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/21 11:00
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/21 15:27
Or this one near Kyoto but hard to reach :

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3985.html

I personally like the Edo tatemono Museum (the link JCT shared) but itfs a museum, not a real village. I also like the huge peak around it and it is easy to reach from Tokyo. If you are there in Sakura period, the park is a major Sakura festival place.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago vs. Gokayama 2020/1/22 04:55
LikeBike (guest)
GREAT recommendation - thanks! Will look into this and the one near Tokyo and give it some thought thanks!
by VPPATEL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread