Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

UK driving license conversion, expiry? 2020/1/20 12:43
Hello,

I am considering getting a driving license in Japan.

I am a foreign resident in Japan. I have a UK driving license, a paper license and photocard from 2002. I have 7 to 8 years driving experience in the UK after I got my license, no penalty points. My paper license is valid until 2048 but my photocard expired in 2011.

My question is, do you need both parts to be valid for conversion to a Japanese driving license?

I think probably both parts need to be valid so I will need to take the exams to obtain a new license. I just want to be sure. I will go to JAF when I have time and ask their advice but if anyone here has similar experience then I would be grateful to hear it.

Thank you
by SZQ  

Re: UK driving license conversion, expiry? 2020/1/20 18:39
You mentioned you have paper licence and a photo card.
As far as I understood the paper licence is issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence. If not it is not valid since June 8, 2015

All documentation which you hand in has to be valid.
If there is an expiration date on your photo card than it will not be accepted.
When your paper driving licence is still valid than you can still use it (depends if it is issued before 31 March 2000 or not)

There are several other steps (translation etc.) you need to follow but most difficult part is that you need to proof you have lived in the UK for at least a year, or within 3 months of your driving licence being issued.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: UK driving license conversion, expiry? 2020/1/20 20:50
Thank you justmyday.

I feared as much, my license was issued 2002 :(

I was hoping the paper license would be enough. The photo card I assumed was just for identification.

It's ok as I don't really need a car but useful to sometimes rent one when moving or going on holiday.
by SZQ rate this post as useful

Re: UK driving license conversion, expiry? 2020/1/20 21:29
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK driving license conversion, expiry? 2020/1/20 21:58
Thanks for the link ken.

Guess I have missed a lot since I left the UK :)

So it seems the photocard is the important bit. Ah well, I haven't driving for many years so I guess it will be good to take a few lessons and takes the exams.

Thanks for the help guys!
by SZQ rate this post as useful

reply to this thread