Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14-d itinerary N+S Kyushu, JR pass 2020/1/21 07:13
Hello,

Planning 14-night Kyushu trip for late March / early April. My wife and I, and our 2 kids (3.5 + 6 yo). Appreciate help reviewing our schedule.

Day 1 - arrive Fukuoka airport 1:30p. activate 5-day JR pass (all Kyushu). Take shinkansen to Kagoshima. Stay 4 nights.
Day 2-4 - Ibusuki, Chiran, Sakurajima, (Kirishima? +/- rental car?)
Day 5 - use JR pass to take trains to Kumamoto (Hayato no Kaze, Yoshimatsu, SL Hitoyoshi). Stay 2 nights Kumamoto.
Day 6 - Kumamoto (all day)(castle, Suizen-ji koen, Daikanbo?, Kurosawa onsen?)
Day 7 - Ocean Arrow / Kumamoto ferry in AM to Shimabura (30 min). Rent car. Drive to Unzen, Isakaya, Omura. Stay 2 nights Nagasaki.
Day 8 - Nagasaki (all day)
Day 9 - drive Nagasaki to Aso / Kurokawa. Stay 2 nights.
Day 10 - Takachiho in AM. Aso in PM.
Day 11 - Return rental car in AM. activate 5-day JR pass (North Kyushu). Aso Boy (10:05a) to Beppu/Oita. Stay 1 night.
Day 12 - train to Fukuoka / Hakata. Stay 3 nights Hakata.
Day 13-14 Hakata (full days)
Day 15 - train to airport. Fly out

How hard is it to rent car in Shimabura? Planning to return in Aso.

Any suggestions or modifications? Not sure for Aso / Kurokawa / Beppu / Yufuin area where best to base ourselves - to experience onsen and be closely located to the sights. Beppu seems to have more points-of-interest but Yufuin is an onsen town?

Appreciate any insights and advice. Thank you in advance.
by Edward C  

Re: 14-d itinerary N+S Kyushu, JR pass 2020/1/21 15:48
The Nagasaki piece seems to be strangely placed. Nagasaki to Kurokawa onsen or Aso or Takachiho is really far. That region is much better reachable from Kumamoto; but even from Kumamoto not really as daytrips (unless you want to be many hours in the car).

So I would do Kagoshima -Nagasaki - Kumamoto and the in to Aso, Takachiho and Kurokawa onsen. I think in that region youfll need to change hotels. Eg Kumamoto, Takachiho and Kurokawa onsen. And youfll need a car. From Kurokawa you can then continue to Beppu.

In Northern Kyushu have you heard about the toilet museum? I havenft been but sounds like fun, specially with kids.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4883.html

Enjoy your trip to Kyushu!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread