Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to do the Hakone sightseeing loop? 2020/1/21 13:25
We will be doing the Hakone Loop in April.
Which direction do you suggest that will be less crowded with tourists?
by chong 1301  

Re: Best way to do the Hakone sightseeing loop? 2020/1/21 18:52
Start early, avoid the weekends/national holidays if possible, and as long as the current suspension of the Hakone Tozan Railway continues (substitute buses available), probably going counter-clockwise would be quicker, as you get through the traffic congestion (of course buses have far less capacity compared to the trains) early in the day.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html

But it would also depend on where you want to spend a lot of time, so please plan your visit well :)
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to do the Hakone sightseeing loop? 2020/1/22 09:31
Clockwise.
I avoid the anit-clock-wise route - worse connections and more people.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to do the Hakone sightseeing loop? 2020/1/22 11:32
Thanks for the replies:
One counterclockwise and another clockwise.
That's why I'm confused.
We plan to see the following:
Hakone sightseeing cruise, Hakone ropeway,
and Owakudani (black eggs).
by chong 1301 rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to do the Hakone sightseeing loop? 2020/1/22 12:07
I do the course several times per year. I also note the crowds and where the bottle-necks are. There are more on the counter-clockwise course, and I've seen queues literally hundreds of meters long at Owakudani snaking out of the building - no thanks.
The main point I actively avoid which is most evident on the anti-clockwise course is waiting at Togendai for the boat. It's boring and nothing to do, and the wait can easily be more than 1/2 hour. The Hakone-Machi side is a much nicer place to kill time.

Re: Best way to do the Hakone sightseeing loop? 2020/1/22 12:17
Clockwise is the least traveled direction. So less lines and waiting. Anti-clockwise is the common run. Most travel up the railway first.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to do the Hakone sightseeing loop? 2020/1/22 12:52
Thanks!
Clockwise it is.
by chong 1301 rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to do the Hakone sightseeing loop? 2020/1/22 18:14
Clockwise is the least traveled direction.
That is not the reason I gave, but it also appears to be true based on my experience travelling to the region the past few years.

reply to this thread