Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/21 21:52
Hey everyone, I need some help. Can I extend my tourist visa while in Japan. If I can, how do I go about it? Do I need an attorney? If any one has recently do so, the procedure Ifll be very helpful.
by Fuse (guest)  

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/22 08:42
If you are from a country that allows extension from 90 days for a further 90 days, you can apply at an immigration office.
Otherwise, go home before it expires.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/22 08:45
If you are from one of the follow countries you are allowed to stay in Japan up to 6 months without visa.
Ireland, UK, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Mexico, Liechtenstein

You max duration is 90 days and you can extend the temporary visa with another 90 days at the local immigration office.

If you are not from the above countries book a flight to Korea and stay there for a day and come back.
(Don't do this to often of immigration may ask questions)
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/22 09:27
If you want to extend it, you need to go to the immigration office. They will either say yes or no to you. If they allow you to, they may ask what your plans are while you are in Japan and might want to see that you have enough funds to support yourself. Just be prepared if they ask questions about your stay. Just make sure you don't overstay on your current visa without going to the office, or else you may get in quite a bit of trouble.

The other easiest way if you want 3 more months is to fly to another country and then come back the next day to Japan to get another tourist visa.
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/22 20:12
Migration service to help you.
by SergoMi rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/23 00:08
@SergoMi How do I contact Migration service?
by Fuseov (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/23 09:12
You need to visit the local immigration office.
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/info/

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/26 01:13
A bit more details on the procedure in the Immigration Agency. (I am personally from Russia, though the option "Go to Korea/Vietnam/Thailand etc for 2 days" wasn't possible).

1. Go to the Immigration Agency (If you are lucky, you will find one in the city you live. If not, you will have to go to another city (as was in my case)).
2. Tell them about your intention/desire to extend visa and the type of your visa.
3. They will give you a list of necessary documents: a questionnaire, a purpose of stay, confirmation of your financial abilities and, if I am not mistaken, your Japanese address (I can forget something because I had a guarantor sponsoring my visa and all the documents on the financial status and my accommodation were made by him). And your passport, of course.
4. Once you have all the documents, go to the Immigration Agency. They will take them and put 2 seals in your passport: 1 - current visa cancellation; 2 - visa application. You will be required to give them the address where you would like to receive the postcard (yes, it was a postcard, not a letter) with their decision's results.
* You can apply even on the last day of your visa. You can stay legally in Japan while you wait for the decision.
5. You will get the postcard within 2 weeks, but I remember it was faster.
6. In case of a positive decision, you will need to go to the Immigration Agency again (the last time), pay 4.000 yen and get a new visa. If they refuse your application, you have to live the country (If I remember correct, you will have 2 weeks to do it, but it is better to confirm this point).
by Olga3333333 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/26 01:14
Forgot to add: you will also need to show your return ticket.
by Olga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/27 14:39
When I was applying for an internship. They suggested that I leave japan and come back again to extend my stay. Since the internship I was apply for is just for 2 months and my visa allows me to stay for 1 month per visit.
by danmarvpad rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/27 16:35
@Olga3333333

Extension of visa is no guarantee and often you will be informed to leave Japan once.
You need to have a legit reason to stay in Japan for a longer period, and traveling is not a really legit reason.

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/27 17:44
I suspect the advice from @Olga3333333 is irrelevant for a tourist visa. For a resident, maybe, but not a tourist.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/27 18:04
I can hardly imagine Japanese Government signing an agreement with the 7 countries listed above just to end up accepting extension to other citizens like americans or french for example. This would be very unjapanese.
by T.K. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extension of tourist visa? 2020/1/27 19:20
I did not understand the mistrust from the users @justmyday and @JapanCustomTours.

I extended exactly a 90 days temporarily visitor's visa and got additional 90 days on the same visa type.
As for the reason, I participated in a long-term volunteer project and asked the Immigration the permission to stay in Japan longer to continue to do this.

I did not say anything about guarantee of the visa extension or percentage of approved applications, I simply described the process I went through and pointed out that it was successful.

A tourist visa can be used not exclusively to sightseeing. As you see in my case, for example, I had a different reason to use it. If the topic's starter believes his/her reason for extension is sufficient (he/she has not mentioned it to let us judge), he/she can apply. And yes, nobody promises the success.
by Olga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread