Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

DVD shop/store 2020/1/23 02:26
Do you know a store/shop where I can buy Maria-sama ga miteru DVD (English or with English subtitle) or memorabilia in Tokyo area (near Apa Hotel Higashi Shinjuku Kabukicho)?
by Everlyn (guest)  

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/1/23 11:37
Anime DVDs with English subtitles are few and far between in Japan. Those are usually added by overseas distributors for releases in the U.S./U.K., and not sold in Japan.

On rare occasions, exceptionally popular anime will get special collector-edition re-releases in Japan with an overseas-produced English dub included as an option, and a few titles that are expected from the very start to have high demand overseas will have optional English subtitles (Ghibl's movies, for example). I don't think Maria-sama ga miteru got either treatment, however.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/1/23 16:02
On amazon it seems that you can buy it. Even outside Japan:

https://www.amazon.com/Maria-Watches-Over-Us-Season/dp/B00182O7EE
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/1/26 09:52
The only cartoons are Disney that get both languages English and Japanese dub on the dvds in Japan. Japanese anime however does not.
by bambi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/2/4 16:01
@bambi You are generally right but there are exceptions. I have a Japanese dvd of My neighbors the Yamadas bought many years ago that has English subtitles. You have to learn the kanji for This which I think is ‰pŒκŽš–‹ and look for that on the case.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/2/4 17:02
@Stan Norrell, why not just put English so itfll be easier to non-Japanese to look for it. LOL!

I guess finding one would be a needle in a haystack. .‹(ಗ„tಗB)‹.
by Everlyn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/2/6 04:13
Because if you are in Japan and looking at dvd cases as I have you will not see it written as " English" but as "‰pŒκŽš–‹". I don't know, you try to be helpful & this is the thanks you get.

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/2/6 10:08
@Stan Norrell, I am thankful of what you shared - translation of English. My response was supposed to be humorous. (๑₯̑◡₯̑๑)
by Everlyn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/2/6 16:04
No worries. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Re: DVD shop/store 2020/2/7 10:30
uwhy not just put English so itfll be easier to non-Japanese to look for it. LOL!v

As odd as this may seem, in the rare cases that anime sold in Japan include English subtitles or an English dub option, the reason isn't always entirely because the publisher wants English-speaking people to buy the DVD/BD. Many times, the English-language content is included because it's a bit of extra prestige for an anime title to be (or appear to be) internationally popular, and sometimes those options are also included as a bonus for Japanese viewers who are curious to hear/enjoy the novelty of the foreign-language dialogue. It's sort of like how some Simpsons DVDs sold in the U.S. included the same scene with its dub from a half dozen other languages (Spanish, French, Japanese, etc.).

Because of that, publishers are sometimes more interested in letting Japanese shoppers know that the disc contains English-language options than they are English speakers, and so that information gets listed in Japanese on the package.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread