Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Electronic foldable scooter in Naha 2020/1/24 20:33
Hi I will be a Working student soon in Naha Okinawa, I would like to know if anyone knows where I can buy cheap Electronic Bike or E foldable scooter in Okinawa ( i don't have a Driver's license yet so Foldable E scooter is what I can get for now)?

Thank you
by CLea (guest)  

Re: Electronic foldable scooter in Naha 2020/1/25 10:48
I think power-assisted electric bicycles are your own option, which can be bought at most bicycle shops. Electric kick scooters require the same license and safety standards as small motor cycles.
by Yabai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronic foldable scooter in Naha 2020/1/25 10:51
Thank you for your reply. By Same license... are you referring to a Student permit license to drive will do, or Driver's license?
by Clea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronic foldable scooter in Naha 2020/1/25 12:00
There are 4 classes of motor cycle licenses in Japan: (1) 50cc class, (2) 125cc class, (3) 400cc class, and (4) over 401cc class. To ride a electric kick scooter that is street legal, you need either a 50cc class license or a regular automobile license (I think). And to be street legal, your electric kick scooter need to meet the same safety standards as a 50cc motor cycle (e.g., need to have headlight, tail light, turn signals, etc.). And you cannot ride the electric kick scooter on the sidewalk. So, that is why I mentioned power-assisted bicycles are your best (or only) option.
by Yabai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronic foldable scooter in Naha 2020/1/27 08:53
If an electric scooter is capable of speeds over 9 kilometer per hour (which they pretty much all are), itfs classified as a motor vehicle and therefore needs a license, registration, turn signals, and everything else that youfd need on a motorbike or moped. If you have student visa you can take bring an IDP with the required driving licence if you have a driving licence.

Also be aware that you can not use the walking area and that you need to be on the street which would be dangerous with a electric scooter.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Electronic foldable scooter in Naha 2021/1/2 11:46
Thanks guys. I'm actually here in Urasoe Okinawa already. I'm still considering getting a scooter atleast but I did heard that you can't just park it anywhere. Every parking space is payed 😅
by Clea (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread