Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/27 19:24
Hey guys, does anyone know if it can be a big issue when you apply for PR from spouse if the Japanese spouse is not in Japan at that time for a longer or indefinite period (same address though)? Would they even check?
Thanks
by xyz (guest)  

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/28 09:17
You are expected to be living together in Japan – that is the purpose of the “spouse of Japanese national” resident status in the first place?
Also the spouse will need to sign a guarantor paper, obtain tax statement (I hope your spouse is paying taxes in Japan, even though she/he is outside Japan?), obtain family register with you in it, etc., to help with the application.
We (my non-Japanese spouse and myself Japanese) went to the immigration bureau together to make the application. We never got any questions after we made the application, though you never know.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/28 13:14
It's a problem.as guest mentioned that living together is main base for spouse visa. My PR result failed because my wife was not with me. Immigration may call ask ask your wife. They call if the pr applicant is spouse visa holder
by Guest C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/28 17:02
Not living together, not being on the same address are not matching with the requirements of the PR visa.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/29 10:23
Spouse not staying together will cause problem to your PR since you are transitioning from Spouse status.
Unless you can provide good reason for separation , such as work related, kids schooling etc.
Would they even check?
Yes, they will check, follow up on what information you gave in your application. That is why it takes long time.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/29 16:14
Thanks for the answers, everyone. Again, couple still lives together and has same address, but jp. spouse is out of the country for a while...
by xyz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/29 16:54
It is not only living together, it is also register the partner on the same address.
If the spouse is outside Japan it would be difficult.

Also you mentioned for a longer or indefinite period.
This would not be seen as living together as initial period.

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/29 17:36
I had same address but not living together due to my work, they rejected.

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/1/31 18:37
@Guest C - did you inform them or did they find out somehow?

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/2/3 15:55
They called us.

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/2/3 17:40
@Guest C - I see, thanks! Don't think it always happens, someone I know said they never called and he just got it.

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/2/4 18:14
You need to show about your wife's work too.

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/2/7 17:25
@Guest C - right.. so if the jp spouse is not working it could be more difficult..

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/2/7 17:42
Immigration CAN always call to confirm. This is case by case
This is a part of the procedure.
It would even be possible for a visit if there is a strong doubt about the application.

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/2/8 10:45
Let me tell you one more point. Since how many months your spouse is living out side Japan or just went for long travel. Long travel may not be a problem. If Japanese national live in other country, they need to remove the residence(住民票を外す) from Japan. If your Japanese spouse is living long time in overseas.
Is your wife working at present in Japan or working in overseas?

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/2/8 12:11
To Guest C: there are a bit more details about that.

If a Japanese national is working oversea, and:
- Continues to be paid by the Japanese entity, then he/she keeps the residence in Japan, pays taxes on the income in Japan. (Something like a one-year assignment at a business unit of the Japanese company located outside Japan.)
- If completely transferred to the payroll of an overseas entity, then he/she removes themselves from the residence record in Japan, so that they will not be considered “residents” in Japan. (Something like getting seconded to a foreign subsidiary.)
It is only in the second case that the Japanese national will “remove” their residence. And if that is the case, the Japanese spouse will not be able to provide resident record and the tax statement in Japan, which (I believe) is one of the documents they usually ask for.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa: spouse to PR issue? 2020/2/10 18:42
the jp spouse is traveling overseas and the time of return not decided..

reply to this thread