Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will I be able to buy clothes in Japan? 2020/1/29 01:03
Bit of a silly question but I really love buying/thrifting unique clothing items when I travel.

I'm 24 yr old woman
5''8
~140lbs
(north-american sizes)
dress size 2
Jeans 25-26 (2)
Top xs/s
bra 30B
waist 21 inch
hips 36inch
mid thigh circumference 19 inch
upper thigh circumference 22 inch
bicep 10 inch

I'm quite tall and have wider hips so would I be considered plus sized in Japan?
Just wondering :)
by JT (guest)  

Re: Will I be able to buy clothes in Japan? 2020/1/29 12:43
At 5-8 and 140 pounds, you're taller than the average Japanese woman, and probably also heavier than most Japanese women who do happen to be that tall. I think it'd be an exaggeration to say you won't be able to find any clothes that fit you in Japan, though, although you'll probably have fewer options than smaller-framed shoppers.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I be able to buy clothes in Japan? 2020/1/30 10:33
I just read your post. You should be able to find some clothes in Japan, depending on what you like to wear, the amount you want to spend and your style. Did you check out any stores in Japan yet? You can try the obvious venues like uniqlo or forever 21, etc.

If worst come to worst, you could always order online as well if the store doesn't have your size.
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Will I be able to buy clothes in Japan? 2020/1/30 12:12
At a thrift store who knows probably some stuff could fit while alot might not, it would probably be easier to go to a non-thrift store because there is a specific larger sized women section available (since you are taller than most ladies in Japan and you mentioned the hips) . Thrift shops don't organize things by size. But you can just check out thrift stores anyway but there is no guarantee anything will fit since the majority of the clothes will be the standard free size since that is what most women wear here in Japan thus what the majority of donated secondhand stuff will be. If you want some other options for clothes besides thrift stores, like a store carrying new clothes I suggest the stores Avail and Shimamura which both have a plus size section and also carry L size in their standard size section. Avail and Shimamura are a store chain so are available in most cities/towns. If you can read some Japanese or use a web page translator Avail and Shimamura have a store location searcher by prefecture, etc.: https://www.shimamura.gr.jp/shop/avail/
Also Honeys clothing chain carries L size as well but no bigger sizes like plus size.
by kate (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I be able to buy clothes in Japan? 2020/2/3 00:28
For those looking for an answer, I got in touch with a white western family that once lived in Japan and based on my measurements tops should be fine (although could be anywhere from a S-L) and bottoms would be tricky except for long skirts with stretchy waist bands. Also I weighed in a little lighter recently at 135lbs if that helps

Thank you for the replies
by Post op (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread