Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 09:30
Why does the hospital ask me for pre hospital payment of 150,000 yen.? My heath insurance is under KKH.

Is jichi medical university hospital public or private?

Best facility to give birth here in japan.? Hospitals or maternity/ladies clinic?
by O (guest)  

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 12:46
Are you citizen of Japan?
I have no idea what KKH is and even if this is a Japanese insurance, but if you have a Japanese insurance you often pay 30% and 70% is paid by insurance.

jichi medical university hospital is a private hospital as many other hospitals in Japan.

Ladies clinic helps you with the process of getting pregnant and follow the process.
Birth is often in (maternity) hospitals
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 12:49
because it is not covered by health insurance.
why are you going to such a large hospital just for baby delivery ?
there should be other hospitals which are less crowded.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 14:05
Hospital care for giving birth is not covered by medical insurance, as it is not a treatment of ailment. But if you are a resident of Japan and have been contributing to the national health system, there is a lump sum you receive upon giving birth, to help with the cost.

Since you mention kkh, I am assuming you are not a resident of Japan. Are you visiting short-term?

With many of the non-Japanese insurance policies, probably you need to pay the full
amount in Japan, and claim it back from your insurance company (if it is recoverable) when you return to your country.

The reason the hospital is asking for advance payment is to make sure they can collect the expenses you incur, like a deposit, as there have been cases of foreign visitors receiving medical care and not paying later. So that is their precautionary measure (no offense, but this has happened before).

You could look for a maternity clinic in your neighborhood where you are staying - but local mothers select the clinic to give birth in fat earlier in their pregnancy, as there are x-th month check-ups throughout the pregnancy for local moms, and they usually use the same hospital throughout.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 15:23
Im a spouse visa holder.Our health insurance is under kkokumin kenko hoken s. I was just wondering why we have to pay for pre hospital payment.
by O (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 15:44
because some persons (including both Japanese and foreigners) run away, after delivery. their work is not a charity.

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 15:54
generally speaking, hospitals which are belonged to medical schools are not suitable places for patients who are not serious diseases. because such hospitals are established for new experimental medical cares, for serious diseases, or for interns who are not enough medical experiences.
probably, you are healthy. you will be a good guinea-pig in their hospital training.

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 21:15
So you are living in Japan with the National Health Insurance scheme. (Excuse me I took "KKH" to be something else from a certain country in Europe.)

As I mentioned earlier, moms, as soon as they find out they are pregnant, report their pregnancy to the city hall/health office, get the gboshi techoh from the city hall, with that they get the vouchers for certain periodical health check-ups during their pregnancy, which put them in touch with hospitals/clinics early on, so they tend to select the hospital/clinic for giving birth earlier. (I donft know if you have taken those check-ups.) So if you show up a hospital for childbirth, without having taken those check-ups along the way, to them you are a completely new patient – and they must have felt the need for a deposit (the difference to be settled later).

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 21:18
Health insurance doesn't cover baby delivery because it's not a disease.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/29 21:46
https://www.jichi.ac.jp/hospital/top/hospitalization/birth.html

Here on this page, they mention this amount of 150,000 yen as advance payment - I consider this like a deposit, as they say it will be used as part payment upon getting released from the hospital.

Furthermore, (in the paragraphs below) they talk about this lumpsum payment that is available to those enrolled in National Health Insurance scheme - if you agree, the hospital will apply directly with your social security scheme so that instead of you paying the full amount upon leaving from the hospital and claiming the lumpsum yourself, they will apply for it on your behalf with the social security scheme and use the amount to offset the total amount due.

Re: Best facility to give birth 2020/1/30 14:02
pre hospital payment of 150,000 yen.?

As AK said, this is probably actually a deposit. My hospital did the same, for 50,000 yen. I signed paperwork that allowed the hospital to apply directly for the birth allowance of about 420,000 yen on my behalf, then a month later after the birth when I did the final check for myself and the baby, they gave me the cash deposit back and then I had to pay for any additional charges (just room and board for the 5 days, in my case). I assume you're in Tokyo? Probably your deposit is more expensive, but would depend a lot on the hospital too.

Best facility to give birth here in japan.? Hospitals or maternity/ladies clinic?

Depends on your area, and what you're looking for. It's a bit silly to ask this question without giving your location, though. What if I told you the best place was in Fukuoka? Would you fly there for your care if you are in Tokyo?

You want to make a list of important things you want for your birth, and find a hospital, clinic, birthing center, midwife center, etc. that will work with you. For example, if you want an epidural or pain medication during childbirth, you will want to find a hospital that offers that. What kind of setting do you want for giving birth? Some women don't like hospitals, and would rather a birth center or something. There are many ways to give birth depending on each woman's preference. Also, if your pregnancy is high risk vs low risk, or the location of NICU facilities, etc. etc.

For me, the most important thing was honestly location. I didn't want to have to drive a long way to get to my care. So that was my first priority. Your priority may be difference, so it's important for you to think about it.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread