Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

10 days itinerary 2020/1/30 16:02
Hello,
I have 3 questions.
1) We are travelling to japan first time. We plan to be there for 10 days. We want to spend 3 days in Tokyo and 3 days in Kyoto. But are confused about which region of Japan to visit tin the next remaining 3 to 4 days. We would not like to travel too far from Kyoto, but would like to experience a unique side of Japan. Any suggestions please?We are 4 adults and 2 kids 13yr and 10 yr.
2) Can tourists request for stay in Buddhist temple anywhere?
3) Do temples in Japan serve vegetarian food?
Thank you
by Smitha Rao (guest)  

Re: 10 days itinerary 2020/1/31 09:32
Hi!

for 1) It would depend on what time of year you are visiting and what your and children's interests are. Since they are 10 and 13 I would ask them about what some of their interests are. Dragging kids around Japan to things they are not that interested in gets old fast.

2) There are some Buddhist Temples that allow foreign guests to stay there but some do not. It really varies...

3) Some temples serve bona fide vegetarian food. Some temples serve "vegetarian style" food so the food can contain fish, seafood, and fish and or seafood soup stock (dashi.) So if you would like bona fide vegetarian or vegan food, you need to spend a little more time researching a specific location vs. if you just want vegetarian style food it is much easier. Koya-san is a very popular place to visit that has temples lodgings and it is equally well known for some of its temples being vegetarian style vs. actually vegetarian.

If you are vegetarian, Happy Cow is a great resource. There will be other places to eat that are not listed, but it is a great start point cause I've found a lot of misinformation out there on what is vegetarian in Japan and what is not. A lot of people assume all tofu restaurants (they're not.) and I've even seen some recommendations from vegetarians of things that are vegetarian in Japan which I was told were not when I asked.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 10 days itinerary 2020/2/4 22:47
Hello,

1) How about Nara near Kyoto? A popular plan is to visit the Great Buddha of Todaiji Temple and stroll through Nara Park.

2) Myoshinji seems to be popular with foreigners. 5,000 yen/person/night (with breakfast, Shojin Buddhist vegetarian cuisine for dinner is 4,000 yen
http://m.eng.trip.kyoto.jp/spot/db/myoshinji-daishininshukubo/

3) The vegetarian cuisine does not contain animal products.
by Daimon608 rate this post as useful

Re: 10 days itinerary 2020/2/4 23:49
Possibly consider the Kii Peninsula. Close to Kyoto, very different from Tokyo and Kyoto. Ocean, mountains, hiking... Kumano Kodo is probably the best known attraction of the area, but it has more to offer if you do your research.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 10 days itinerary 2020/2/7 23:56

I suggest staying in Tokyo and Kyoto. There is so much to see there. Here is my 12-day Itinerary for first time Japan visitors. Enjoy Japan!

https://theworldtraveler.mykajabi.com/travel-planning
by The World Traveler (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread