Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/5 11:47
Hi, i'm planning to do a day trip from Tokyo to visit Fuji Shibazakura Fest in early May and unfortunately it would clash with the golden week (trying to arrange for 7th May if it makes a difference). And since the ride to Lake Kawaguchi takes so long, I would like to maximise my visit and go to other places like, the panaromic ropeway, Chureito Pagoda and Oshino Hakkai.

First question, is it advisable to do all those activities in one day via public transport? Is Chureito or the ropeway worth visiting? or should i drop either one of them?

Alternatively, i was thinking of driving AFTER my visit to the Fuji Shibazakura site (I will be taking direct bus to the site from Tokyo) and back at Kawaguchi Station (one way shuttle bus from the fest site).
I have a total of 5 people in the group, so i thought it might be more economical and time-saving if i rented a car. But would the traffic and parking be easy? I heard traffic is quite bad during golden week. But if by driving, i could also visit more places it seems, like Lake Yamanakako or Sengen Shrine or even Fujikyu Highlands (for just picture taking).

TLDR: Please do advise if the activities are feasible if taking just public transport, or if i should just drive when i'm there considering the traffic and Golden week.

Many thanks!

by chower  

Re: Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/5 20:42
I took a bus from Kawaguchiko Station to the Shibazakura location during GW one year and that bus took nearly 2 hours to get there. If you are going to do this, leave very early!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/6 00:15
Oh dear!! I do intend to take the earliest bus, like a 6+am bus from shinjuku direct to the festival site. By right the gw holidays are supposed to end on the 6th May (wed), and I'm trying to go on the 8th (a friday), hopefully there's not as many people taking extended leave *cross fingers!*

Can anyone advise if it's even okay to drive during this period? To the other parts of the town that is.

Also if I were to take a one way bus (shibazakura liner) from the fest site back to kawaguchi stn, do I pay on the bus or do I need to make any reservations?
by chower rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/6 13:50
Having travelled over many years during Golden week, I would suggest doing things a smarter way. Rent a car and travel up the night before (https://www.jomoncarrental.com/rental-vehicles), during the night, when nobody is travelling. Spend the following night and return to Tokyo the following morning, or return late at night, so you will always be travelling in the opposite direction of traffic. This way you'll avoid the congestion. We usually do trips past Yamanashi and Shizuoka every Golden week and have done for decades and never hit traffic. The trick is NOT to travel in a given direction when many others are doing so at the same time.
by Max Delanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/7 03:16
Yes, going in the opposite direction is the key.
The shibazakura is great and the highlight. But even so, for going all the way there, seeing some other sights too would be well worth it.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/12 12:45
Yes unfortunately the hotel was already booked by my relative so we can't stay over at Kawaguchiko (else i wouldn't have this headache in the first place!) :(

But my question would be more like if i planned to go just right after the Golden week, like 2 days after (Golden week is till 6th May,Wed), would it still be as crowded?
by chower rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/14 20:44
Hey!
I also want to know if we can access some of this places easily in one day by public transportation.
Like the OP, I have interest in Chureito Pagoda and the Shibazakura Festival.
Planning on going during saturday May 9th or monday 11th.

It was not clear to me if his route, which is similar to mine, is feasable by public transportation in this time of May, after the Golden week. Any help is appreciated.
by MP5 rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/14 23:40
I am afraid the Shibazakura festival may well be past its prime by that time. When I went on May 5 a few years ago, it was definitely way past its prime and starting to look bad. If it's a early spring, like this one appears to be, it may turn out to be a disappointment.
by John Digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip in Kawaguchiko during Golden Week 2020/2/19 01:50
Thank you for your input, John.

Does anyone know if there are live camaras in that area, so we can check if the Festival is still good to visit and if there is good visibility to Mount Fuiji?
by MP5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread