Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Onsen with classmates. Shaving? 2020/2/8 00:50
Hi, Ifm 14, female, and am going to Japan on a school trip. I will be visiting an onsen, and I am extremely worried. For starters, Ifm from Canada, and people generally shave down there here. The other problem is that I donft know what Japanese people do. It will be awkward already because I have to see people my age that are naked, but some of the people who are coming on the trip with me are younger and havenft hit puberty. I donft know if I should shave completely, trim, or leave it be! The trip is in a few months, and I am really worried. Please help!
by A concerned girl (guest)  

Re: Visiting Onsen with classmates. Shaving? 2020/2/8 09:44
You are perfect just as you are.

Leave it be, would be my advice. It's hard to imagine when you haven't experienced it, but the locals aren't looking or staring, and everyone is in the same situation. Also, everyone else on your trip will be too worried about themselves to look at you!

Have a wonderful time in Japan.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Onsen with classmates. Shaving? 2020/2/8 10:49
There is a "modesty towel" that one uses to get to the water so you aren't completely bare walking about. The towel isn't to touch the water as you get in, but that can mitigate some of the anxiety you may feel.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Onsen with classmates. Shaving? 2020/2/8 16:43
I can only speak to the female section. I havenft ever seen a Japanese woman completely shaved.

So go as YOU are comfortable with yourself. Onsen is about relaxing. Not body consciousness.

Enjoy the soak!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Onsen with classmates. Shaving? 2020/2/9 18:12
My japanese girlfriend stops shaving when she is in japan or shortly before going to japan, cause she says no women in japan shaves completely unless they are in some erotic business and it would be very uncommon to do so. however she also told that recently it became a little less strict than in her youth.
in any case: you got gaijin bonus and can anyhow do whatever you want. enjoy the soak and dont get stressed.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Onsen with classmates. Shaving? 2020/2/10 08:48
First as you may know onsen is separate (female - Male) .
There are man who save and same for female.

My daughter 13 who is also saving herself and this is something she decides.
She does not feel uncomfortable with it.

Just be yourself. Nobody is carrying what you do or not. Just keep the rules in the onsen.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread