Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JAL Baggage Question about different sizes 2020/2/8 19:46
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question and hope someone has an answer/experience:
I'm flying back home in a couple of days and will have two suitcases to check in.
I'm allowed two suitcases a 23kg.
One is medium size, the other small.
The medium size one is definitely going to be over 23kg, the small definitely under.
Does anyone know if they make a stink about the overweight if it balances itself out with the smaller suitcase or is that usually fine?

Thanks you for any input!

Best Wishes,
L.
by Koichiko  

Re: JAL Baggage Question about different sizes 2020/2/9 08:27
Yes they may

I had two once, one being slightly over the limit and I was politely asked if it was possible to rearrange my luggage so they were under 23kg. Luckily I just moved some books to the other suitcase to balance them out.

I think it says in the small print on their policy or FAQs somewhere that you can't do what you're asking, it's a max of two suitcases and they both have to be under 23kg or you could end up paying extra baggage fees.

You may get lucky, but if you can You could swap some things to balance out the weight
by ShellyYes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JAL Baggage Question about different sizes 2020/2/9 14:51
Does anyone know if they make a stink about the overweight
Yes - because it is a per case weight, not average on airlines. It is an issue more with baggage handling, not the airlines. 23kg (50lbs) is the limit. If over the limit they can refuse to take the bag - a pretty common limitation.

I have once had a case over 23kg (I was moving a computer server between offices) and I had to make the case under 23kg. Fortunately I could remove everything else I had in that suitcase and got to 22.9kg.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JAL Baggage Question about different sizes 2020/2/9 19:06
It is per case. Max limits are a safety requirement for airline staff luggage handlers.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JAL Baggage Question about different sizes 2020/2/10 09:23
In short, yes they may make a big deal of it. I brought some heavy items in my luggage from overseas and it was only overweight by 1 kg and they said unless I took some items out, they would charge an extra 100 dollars.

Just be mindful of the policies of the airlines as every airline has their own policy.
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: JAL Baggage Question about different sizes 2020/2/10 22:47
Thanks so much for the answers.

I was afraid this was going to be the case, unfortunately I really can't move anything from the bigger suitcase into the smaller one, since the smaller one has a build-in case for my notebook and I'm not able to transport it any other way. Not to mention that the bigger suitcase is already at the airport and wrapped in plastic ... *sigh*

Anyway, thanks so much for the help!
by Koichiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread