Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/13 12:57
When I decide to move to japan how do I get in touch with having a personal guide or mentor helping me get a career started and everything I need set up?
by Megan (guest)  

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/13 21:39
On what capacity do you "decide to move to japan" ?
What sort of visa or how do you move to Japan?
Are you a student?
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/13 23:24
Great pickup "@".

It sounds like a student - I guess it's best to wait for a response from the original poster before we respond...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/14 00:16
Did someone tell you that Japanese society is based on a system of personal mentors who find jobs and homes for people, and that said mentors are something you're supposed to get when you move to the country? If they did, you were misinformed.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/14 01:24
I'm not a student. I'm wanting to permanently move in the future.
by Megan Gentry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/14 04:29
The question is not so silly. Navigating the processes to get somewhere to live, dealing with officials and some other bits and pieces can be hard for a first time visitor/resident. (Getting a phone or bank account for example.)
However, the big one is before they arrive - what are they going to do. if not a student, they need their status of residences sorted before they arrive.
Help establishing a career - that's a bit weird - if you don't have one, or a job, or skills - you will not be moving to Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/14 08:57
I'm not a student. I'm wanting to permanently move in the future.

You will need something called a "visa". You can't move just like that and get a coach to find you a job, first you need a job to get a work visa, not the opposite. A degree is also required or 10 years experience.

PS: Japan is not really into the coaching industry. You are on your own here, unless you are a refugee.
by T.K. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/14 09:26
This will be my last post in this thread as it might be toxic fast.

Japan is a first world country which has reasonably tight immigration laws as a result.

Most people that come to Japan either have specializations which cannot be completed by the local populace (eg - English teacher, english speaking engineer, upper management).

With the ageing of Japan - a larger number of lower skilled and healthcare workers are being allowed in but the often come from countries such as the Philippines, Vietnam etc.

So to put it simple - what skills do you bring to Japan? We can't just decide we want to live in a country and go there.

Also - as mentioned previously Japan does not really have mentors and such to get people to move to Japan. Lot's of people with a large amount of skills and experience want to come here already - the Japanese government can decide to be picky.

The only mentors for jobs and stuff are for Japanese people (who speak Japanese) and for the VERY SMALL number of refugees in the country.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/14 11:16
Regarding gmentorsh, some language schools have people who help you with some of the navigating of burocracy, or obviously if you come on a expat package, there are specialized companies for international relocation. But thatfs expensive. More like for executives and their spouses sent to Japan.

So as a normal person, youfll need to first of all find a job in Japan and then take it from there. Some companies have company dorms, some might help with setting up a bank account etc, but this all depends on the company. The first thing you need is a job, so you can get a visa.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/14 12:22
you need to find a guide or mentor by yourself, because you are not a child.
you should not expect that someone may help you, and you need to open up your future by yourself.
I believe that this is world-wide common sense.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guides or mentors for travel 2020/2/14 15:49
A guide for temporary travelers (for a pay) is one thing; a career counselor for new graduates-to-be from universities in Japan is another thing; but a mentor for a career/living in Japan? Thatfs up to you to do your research, find out what you want to do, what you can do/what skills you have, see if there are employers in Japan who want to hire you for your skills and experiencesc for the rest, if you need some other professional advice from people like immigration lawyers or head-hunting companies/recruitment agencies, you hire them (for a fee) as needed.

But first of all, please do a research into the job market in Japan, and see what skills you can bring in. In any case, you donft gget set up,h you work for that. Of course, if you come up with specific questions and ask here, people here can provide input - which we are doing - based on our experiences/knowledge, which you can use as reference.

by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread