Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Opening hours of shops - Kumano Kodo 2020/2/13 15:20
I will be going to Kii-Tanabe and hike on the Kumando Kodo trail for a few days. However, I won't arrive Kii-Tanabe until after 8pm and will be catching bus for the walk early in the morning the next day. I believe I will finish my walks around 5pm most of the days. I just wonder if anyone will know the supermarket, convenient stores and restaurants opening hours for the below locations so I can shop for my walks and have my suppers. Thanks.

- Kii-Tanabe
- Chikatsuyu
- Hongu
- Kii-Katsuura

Thanks,
Loraine
by Loraine Lam (guest)  

Re: Opening hours of shops - Kumano Kodo 2020/2/13 17:28
I have never been, but Google maps tells me the following:

- Kii-Tanabe ―> medium sized city plenty of 24/7 convenience stores
- Chikatsuyu ―> I didn’t see a shop on google maps. But this doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. There are however some small restaurants, so you should be able to feed yourself, if there really isn’t any store.
- Hongu ―> I saw at least a butcher on google maps that claims to be open until 19:00. So highly likely there is some other shop around for other groceries
- Kii-Katsuura ―>any 24/7 convenience stores

Enjoy the hikes!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Opening hours of shops - Kumano Kodo 2020/2/13 23:29
Really likebike??

You've not been to the Kumano Kodo....

Sacrilege....

From memory Kii-Tanabe has the most Izakaya per capita in the country so food won't be a problem there.

Hongu is a bit of a cow town at night - look at restaurants on google maps.

Kii-Katsura should have some places, but better to eat earlier and not like 10PM. Expect things to be very fish orientated in Kii-Katsura

by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Opening hours of shops - Kumano Kodo 2020/2/14 11:08
@mfedley
Really likebike??

You've not been to the Kumano Kodo....

Sacrilege....

Well it’s not very bikable. At least for me. But I got quite interested in Wakayama so I might give it a go in March/April.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Opening hours of shops - Kumano Kodo 2020/2/14 14:17
Hi Likebike,

If you don't mind hills - then the beach side of the Kii Peninsula is some of the most picturesque that I've seen in a while. It's also sparsely populated. I'd compare it to rural Aomori in number of people - which is odd considering how close it is to Osaka and Kyoto.

Last time I went there was a typhoon coming through which shut down the train on the west side of the peninsula due to the waves being too big.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread