Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/16 22:07
I need help with planning our Japan trip in september this year, currently I am over-stimulated by all the options and possible destinations.
Me and my girlfriend will travel together for at least 3 weeks. We're interested in nature and city life as well. We arrive 6 sept in Narita airport, we did not book a return flight yet, probably we'll fly to Taiwan or The Philippines after Japan. We think to use a railpass starting from Fuji is the best option (2 weeks).

Currently we plan to stay at least 5 days in Tokyo, so we have enough time to explore what we want to and don't have to skip to much.
We planned 2 nights in the Fuji area to hike the mountain, departing from Tokyo by bus in the morning.
We want to take the train to Nagoya from Fuji to explore the city and Nagashima resort (theme park), then to start from Nahoya a 3 to 5 days trip through the Japanese Alps.

We would to include Kanazawa, Takayama and certainly Kamikochi during the trip but it's complicated to pick the best order in this trip. Maybe add Matsumoto is an option.

After the Alps 2 days in Osaka and 4-5 days in Kyoto with side trip to Hiroshima and then take our next flight.

Does this make any sense? Or are there much better options?
It's hard to me to find a balance in doing to much on a short time and the fear of missing some nice things.
Thanks a lot.
by Gianni (guest)  

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/17 10:46
For Tokyo, you can buy Greater Tokyo pass 3 Day=7200 yen for unlimited travel.For rest of your days you can consider kansai thru pass
3 Day=5200 yen and Japan bus pass 7 day=15000 yen
by Jen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/17 10:50
Hi! Just something before I forget, look Taipei isnt a very nice city (food is awesome and the people are nice though). There are a lot of homeless about, it is grimy and gridlocked and really I had 2 days in there and it was 2 days too long. It will also be as hot as satan's butthole in September, and humid as his armpit. I understand however that the Taiwan countryside is really pretty, so if you go look to get out to it.

On your general plan it looks good but I would go Tokyo - Fuji area - Karuizawa - alps (maybe via Matsumoto ending in Takayama) then on to the other areas from there. It will be hot that time of year so your cooler areas will be the K's - Kamakura (sea breezes), Karuizawa, Kamikochi, also niKKo. Breaking that rule, Kyoto is usually very hot in September unless it is drizzly.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/17 13:58
Please check Fuji climbing season:

http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/season/index.html#block2

This is for 2019, but Ifd guess 2020 will be similar. So you might be a bit late or at least need to stay less days in Tokyo.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/17 14:36
Are you really sure you want to climb Mount Fuji so late in the season? Most of the trails close on September 10th-11th. If you plan to start at the fifth station and climb up, the first aid centers at the 7th and 8th stations will already be closed.

Please follow the link given on the previous post, and confirm that you want to do this.

Are you also aware that this is usually a night climb? The normal goal is to make the summit within a half hour of sunrise.

Good luck, in planning your vacation.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/17 15:03
I also recommend to buy travel pass.such as JR nation wide pass.

Why you buy travel pass?It will give you freedom to see as much as.
In my country A Lot of transportation pass exist, such as greyhound pioneer pass,Aussie kilometre pass,Aussie day pass,Aussie explorer pass, Australian roamer pass,mccafferty's pass,wayward bus pass,
East coast discovery pass,Qantas backpackers pass,kangaroo air pass

by Robin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/17 17:08
Please check Fuji climbing season:

http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/season/index.html#block2

This is for 2019, but Ifd guess 2020 will be similar.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/17 17:12
Japan nation wide pass would cost too much. You have a one way trip direction from Fujisan to Osaka via maybe Takayama.

A seven day pass wouldnt pay off. Let alone a 14 day.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/17 17:18
Thanks for the great answers.

I am aware our visit to Fuji is a bit late in the season. Is it absolutely not possible to climb up after the closing? It's only a few days after we'll arrive there and I don't really want to give up some days in Tokyo. Maybe it is possible with a group or a guide? Any local travel agency that organise such events in september?
Otherwise we still can discover Fuji regio without really climb the mountain, but that's a difficult one to decide.

Thanks for the tip about Taipei, we'll consider to skip the city or the entire country.

Transport and rail passes are a very good option, which one to combine will be a puzzle to make after our itinerary is more or less planned.

by Gianni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/18 01:14
As an alternative to Mount Fuji you can go from Kamikochi up to Mount Yaridake. Given its only 3200 meters it should be OK during the time you are suggesting. Personally I did it 3 days staying in two of the mountain huts but if you're fit and stay overnight in Kamikochi you can probably do it in two.
by NickM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/18 01:18
Sorry meant to add I descended down the Shin Otaka Side. This page gives the details:
https://randomwire.com/yarigatake/
by NickM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/18 04:50
Hi!

I am on my cell phone so don't have the information available now, but I remember where others have asked I did find a specific tour group that did off - season Mt Fuji. It was expensive and they have specific health requirements and experience requirements because they are not going to risk their lives for you. Once I am back on my laptop I can get that information.

I like Matsumoto but Kamikochi is just as easy to reach from Takayama. You take a bus to Hirayu Onsen and take a shuttle from their. Honestly, I think this route runs more frequently.

Good luck
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/19 17:20
I think we will skip a possible dangerous (and expensive) climb of Fuji and chose another mountain to climb. I'll check mt. Yaridake as an alternative.
Our route looks then: Tokyo- region of Mt. Fuji - Nagoya - Takayama - Kamikochi + Mt Yaridake - Kyoto - Osaka.
A side trip for Matsumoto is still a good option (I read a few hour is enough for Matsumoto).

Can someone recommend a good city/region to stay in the Fuji region? To discover the lakes and nature?
Where in my trip I can best plan to stay in a traditional Ryokan and where to use an onsen?

For the Alps,is it the best to book a hotel for each city? or choose 1 and travel from there. And how long in each city?

Thank you so much for the tips.

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/19 18:11
For the alps I wouldnt spend more than 2 nights anywhere although I have spent a lot more than that at most (I dont call myself Lazy for nothing).

I would try to factor in Karuizawa and look to stay at Tsuruya ryokan which is awesome and very handy to the little hike to the loookout and temple (about an hour each way). Tsuruya is in a pretty area, is fairly traditional with a long history, but cater really well to foreigners. Otherwise I like Le Grand Kyu at Karuizawa which is a very plush hotel.

Matsumoto I think is an overnight thing, really, though some people like it more. Kamikochi is possibly 2 nights if you are a hiker. I always stay 2 nights, early mornings are best when it is just you and the monkeys. We stay at the Onsen Hotel there, really nice with great rotenburo.

Takayama is a place we have stayed up to 5 nights at a stretch but other people tire of it quickly. I'd say try 2 or 3 nights, if you are staying 3 then maybe alloocate a daytrip to Shirakawa-go. These days we stay 2 nights and feel like we should have stayed a third. Our pick is Associa Resort there, though we have stayed at Tanabe Ryokan a couple of times as well which is very nice.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/20 06:12
Hi.

I too have stayed in the Associa. I like the baths there immensely. But I think you are more likely to find a more traditional ryokan with baths in the Oku-Hida region.

Do you have specific plans for Nagoya or can you skip it?

If you plan to hike in Kamikochi, you are probably better off staying at least one night. There are a lot of hikes there, I believe there is more information on this website in a past article from 2018? From Matsumoto or Takayama, Kamikochi is just a long enough trip to make day tripping hard if you want to do serious hiking.

I stayed in a cabin in Kamikochi because my kid thought she was interested in camping. It is very economical. I also tried a ryokan just outside the park which had a free transfer from Matsumoto. It was a bit ramshackle but fun.

Good luck
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Our Japan itinerary 2020/2/23 00:40
Hi,
With all these tips now I made this as an itinerary:

6-11/9 Tokyo
11-13/9 Kawaguchiko (five lakes)
13-14/9 Matsumoto
14-16/9 Kamikochi
16-18/9 Takayama
18-20/9 Osaka
20-25/9 Kyoto

We can skip Nagoya. Does this make sense? Any tips?

reply to this thread