Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ltd Exp Wide View Hida vs. Bus to Takayama 2020/2/19 02:18
Hello!

I am wondering if traveling by train on the Limited Express Wide View Hida is really worth it. There is only one per day departing from Osaka and I would enter it in Kyoto.

I've checked and the bus ticket is about half the price. Isn't the bus route pretty too?

Have anyone done both of them? What do you think?
by MP5  

Re: Ltd Exp Wide View Hida vs. Bus to Takayama 2020/2/20 07:47
It is up to you.But I prefer Bus to visit Takayama.
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Wide View Hida vs. Bus to Takayama 2020/2/20 08:33
There are more from Nagoya. Ie you would take Shinkansen from Kyoto to Nagoya and then the Hida Wide View from There.

But yeah, the bus is nice too. I had to use the bus from Takayama to Nagoya as the train was stopped due to a typhoon. And it goes through a lot of very remote forests. So if you get s better price and donft mind that it takes longer (havenft checked but it would seem logical that bus takes quite longer than Shinkansen plus express train), then bus is a good option.

The bus station in Takayama is right beside the train station so you get to the same place.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Wide View Hida vs. Bus to Takayama 2020/2/20 08:48
I took the wide view train once, it was nice but I was expecting something more. My visit was during the winter and I adore snowy sceneries but that ride did not really impress me that much.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Wide View Hida vs. Bus to Takayama 2020/2/20 14:00
Are you planning on getting a JR Green pass? The view out of the front of the wide view is great. The first car is a first class car, and the engineers section has a glass partition.

I have not done the wide view to Takayama yet.
I have had a Green pass, and been on a wide view from Okayama to Shinkoku Island over the Seto Inland Sea, and down the Kii peninsula from Osaka to KiiKatsurra. Itfs a bonus, but I am not sure itfs worth getting the upgrade, just the wide view views. My main reason for my Green pass, was easy travel during Golden Week.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Wide View Hida vs. Bus to Takayama 2020/2/22 21:40
Thank you all for your answers. Since we are two people, getting to Takayama by bus makes sense bacause we can both travel by Bus for almost the same price as 1 Wide view train ticket. According to Nohi bus, the drive takes only about 30 minutes more than the train, so... I think budgetwise it makes more sense. I was worried I would miss out on some magnificent views, but according to you guys the views are nice but not spectucular - and I wouldn't get tickets to the front car anyway, I would get reserved regular seats, so my view wouldn't be that "WIDE".

I am not getting a Green Card, nor a nationwide JR pass because I've done the math for my itinerary and it is not worth it.

The only train pass I am planning to get is a JR Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass because I can use it for 5 days and it already pays off for my round trip to Hiroshima by the fastest Shinkansen.

Thank you all!
by MP5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread