Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kya in this sentence 2020/2/20 06:00
炭酸がとんでなきゃ大丈夫。。。開けてないって証拠。
-> If the soda isn't fizzing, then it's fine. It's proof it wasn't opened.

I still feel like this sounds kind of strange, even after asking 3 people... But either the writer made a mistake, or all of us misunderstood this sentence.
なくちゃ and なきゃ both mean the same, yeah? What is the right translation for this sentence?
Thanks in advance!
by VerySexy (guest)  

Re: 'Kya' in this sentence 2020/2/20 13:39
Yes, -nakya and -nakucha have the same meaning, and are used to add the meaning of "if not" to the verb that comes right before them. So in this case, とんでなきゃ would be the same as とんでいなければ, with theverb being とぶ.

However, I think that your interpretation of とぶ might be off, because the logic doesn't mesh in 「If the soda isn't fizzing, then it's fine. It's proof it wasn't opened.」. If soda isn't fizzing, that would mean the gas has escaped, which would only happen if it HAD been opened.

As with a lot of Japanese sentences, it's hard to be 100-percent sure on the meaning without the specific context it's being used in, but I'd interpret
炭酸がとんでなきゃ大丈夫。。。開けてないって証拠。
to mean,
"If the carbonation hasn't disappeared, it's OK...That's proof that it hasn't been opened."
or, to put it more naturally in English
"As long as it's still fizzing, it's OK...That's the proof that it hasn't been opened."

とぶ sometimes gets used to mean "disappear" (as an extension of its primary meaning "fly" also being used to mean "fly off somewhere"). 炭酸 actually refers to the state of carbonation itself, not the carbonated beverage.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread