Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About spouse visa 2020/2/20 10:16
Hello, I read on the forums some topics about spouse visa, and it was quite helpful, but I have been searching all over the place for some specific answers which I can't find anywhere.

First I will give you some background information so it's easier to understand. As of now I have a student visa, (4th year of mext scholarship) and I got married at the end of 2018. I was counting on passing the phd exam so that I could just extend my student visa, but I didn't pass. So until me and my wife figure out what to do I need to change my visa to spouse.

Mainly our concern is that our marriage is only registered in Japan and in the application form and the required documents it asks for the marriage to be registered in both countries (in my case Argentina, which would mean going to Argentina and getting married there, because it is not possible to register it in the Argentininan Embassy in Japan). I saw that there are cases where the Visa is granted even if the marriage is only registered in Japan. Is that a normal thing? Or we should start thinking seriously on a way to get to Argentina to get that certificate and then comeback to get the visa?

Thank you
by Rojas (guest)  

Re: About spouse visa 2020/2/20 11:23
Hi

I am a U.K. Citizen married to a Japanese national, living in Japan on a spouse visa

My marriage is ONLY registered in Japan, this is because the UK automatically recognises foreign marriages as long as they were conducted legally in the country they took place

I do not know about your country, but does it automatically recognise foreign marriages? OR in order to be recognised as married in your country do you also have to get married there?

To get a visa, your marriage has to be valid in Japan and your home country

You don't necessarily have to have documentation from your home country if they recognise a foreign marriage certificate as a valid marriage (like the UK in my case)
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About spouse visa 2020/3/3 14:13
Thank you for your answer.
I have no idea about how that works, but I will ask in my embassy if it's possible to emit some document saying that it is recognised as a valid marriage, or something of the like.
by Rojas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About spouse visa 2020/3/3 14:32
You are welcome

yes that would be fine. I provided no documentation regarding marriage in the UK. on the application form there is a question asking for details of marriage registration in your home country, my husband just wrote in japanese that the UK automatically recognises foreign marriages and registration is not required

by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About spouse visa 2020/3/3 14:59
You are married in Japan and you can ask for a document at the city hall that you are married.
This information and documentation from local government (Argentine) you need to fill in and send back to your country. You need to check how and who you need to contact for the correct procedure.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: About spouse visa 2020/3/4 08:31
"because it is not possible to register it in the Argentininan Embassy in Japan"

some websites (blogs) say that you can register the marriage through your country's embassy in Japan, after you got married at city hall. are you sure your opinion is correct ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread