Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do I need Passport for Airbnb? 2020/2/27 20:49
I'm currently planning a trip to Japan and I just booked my airbnb in Asakusa. The owner has messaged me and sent me a link to which I have to provide a scanned copy of mine and my friends' passport ... Heres the message:

" Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your reservation!!
Wish you have a good stay in my place!

According to Japanese government regulation, some information(passport copy etc.) should be provided by your side.
Could you please kindly provide via below site?
(LINK)
(please open via browser)
I will send you the guide and map after receiving that.
Thank you very much for your cooperation!
Please let me know in case of any question.
Have a nice day! "

I wasn't aware of any law that requires me to send a copy of my personal details to a somewhat dodgy web link. I have been to Japan in 2017 and i didn't have to do this...
Anybody have any answers?
Thanks
by Mitcheee  

Re: Do I need Passport for Airbnb? 2020/2/28 11:42
I donft know where you stayed in 2017 but, if it was a hotel, they would have taken a copy of your passport. Same rules apply to AirBnB.

Wefre checking in to an AirBnB place this afternoon. Owner asked for a copy of our passports but, as AirBnB doesnft appear to provide any method to attach a file to a message, I said we would just bring a copy with us and leave it in the apartment. He was happy with that. On previous trips, wefve either brought a copy with us and left it in the apartment or the apartment had a copier for you to make a copy. Any hotel wefve ever stayed at in Japan has made a copy of our passports.
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need Passport for Airbnb? 2020/2/28 12:30
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2274/what-should-i-know-about-book...

It is an amendment to the Japanese Hotels and Inns Act that went into effect on June 15, 2018.
Registered/License owner need to abide to the new regulation.
So answer is Yes, just like what normally hotel does.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need Passport for Airbnb? 2020/2/28 12:37
Addition..

If you feel uncomfortable to share your personal details on 'somewhat dodgy web link',
maybe you can try email back the owner about uploading to a proper airbnb site or provide copy when you actually arrived ?
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need Passport for Airbnb? 2020/2/28 13:58
Most AirBnB places do ask for a copy of your passport. It's like going to a hotel where they ask you. If you can try to negotiate to give them a copy of it in person when you meet, they might be fine with it if you're not comfortable using a web link.

Just try and work with them to see what they are open to doing.
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need Passport for Airbnb? 2020/2/28 17:32
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread