Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/28 01:52
I have been considering a trip from March 17-31. Still on the fence because of all of this coronavirus stuff. Mainly I'm worried about if a lot of tourist attractions would be closed.

Anyway, in the two weeks I'd like to be there, I'd like to spend 1 week Tokyo and 1 week Kyoto. I'd be curious what the cost is to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto. A 7 day JR pass is like, approx $400 for me. I am curious if I should just buy a ticket instead.
by darrenbachan  

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/28 11:28
https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

Use this calculator to figure out if its worth it.

by Mitcheee rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/28 11:31
A 7 day JR Pass is \29,650. Tokyo - Kyoto is \14,050 one way.
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/28 11:34
Willer bus pass 7 day=15300 yen cover Tokyo, Kyoto etc
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/28 15:00
Tokyo -> Kyoto one way is around 14,500 JPY (reserved seat)
JR PASS is 29,650 JPY

If you have return and take JR buss or JR local train you will get out your money.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/28 17:25
There are currently two discount Shinkansen tickets, available, the Platt Kodama, and the Flex Rail Ticket. Both programs end in March, but sometimes they return.

There are different Shinkansen trains, the slowest one between Tokyo and Kyoto is the Kodama, because it stops at every station. For people using a JR Pass, the Kodama (under 4 hours) is about an hour slower than the faster Hikari (under 3 hours).

There is a Platt Kodama discount ticket, which costs 10,500 yen between Tokyo and Kyoto. Thatfs 21,000 yen round trip. It also includes a drink voucher.

Look up Platt Kodama on the web, for more details. The website that I went to had pricing up to March 13th, which may mean this program is about to phase out, but it may be revived or replaced with something else.

Also, check the Flex Rail Pass. This may also work for you. The Kodama ticket is booking an actual guaranteed seat on a specific train. The Flex Pass gives you a seat in the gopen seatingh cars. The Flex Rail ticket goes away on March 25th, so this might work, if you go to Kyoto first.

I would get the 7 day JR pass, if you have any thoughts about a side trip while in Kyoto. Hiroshima is about 90 or so minutes away, so Miyajima Island is a possible day trip. Or Kinosaki Onsen. (that would be an overnight) Or Himeji (castle)... Or Okayama (gardens that may have cherry blossoms)... Or if you choose to spend one day on the way back in Nagoya, to see Nagoya Castle and Nabana no Sato (look it up)...

Good Luck, in planning your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/28 17:34
Living in Japan without the benefit of the rail pass I can travel Tokyo to Kyoto for around 10,000yen on shinkansen - less than JRP but, limited seats and times. It is 500km, so doing a 1000km round trip costs if it is car, bus, plane or train.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/28 19:40
Yes lots of attraction are closing. Schools are finishing early also.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/29 05:58
A 7 day JR pass costs a few percent more than a round trip ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto and back.

If you will not be venturing further or making a full round trip, you will save a lot of money just paying regular fare.

Sometimes you can get a plane ticket for cheaper than the train, but you have the hassle of getting to and from the airports. I'd probably just take the fastest train (Nozomi) and pay full fare

And I would not take the bus between Tokyo and Kyoto unless you can sleep on them and are really cash strapped. It's a much longer trip and often they run overnight.
by BB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/2/29 11:44
Or, you can just get the JR Flex Rail Ticket.
https://www.jrtours.co.jp/en/
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debating to get a JR Pass or not 2020/3/1 05:16
If you are arriving in Tokyo and departing from Osaka, or vice versa, then you need just a one-way trip between Tokyo and Kyoto. The JR Pass is not worth it. Even if you are returning from the same city, it will just about break even. There are also the highway buses and local trains that cost less.

To make the best use of a JR Pass, you will want to visit at least one other distant place, e.g. Hiroshima, Kanazawa, etc. I'm actually taking a similar trip from March 19 to April 11. First week in Tokyo, last week in Osaka/Kyoto, and between that, a whole week travelling across the country with a 7-day JR Pass. For me, the pass will pay for itself several times over.
by hyknt rate this post as useful

reply to this thread