Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Extend student visa with tourist visa 2020/3/3 18:55

I will go to Japan to study there for one semester in two weeks. My boyfriend will visit me at the end of semester to travel and then we will fly back to Germany together (or at least that was the plan).

I received a student visa, which will be valid for exactly 6 months from the day I arrive in Japan. Due to me not paying enough attention, I booked the return flights so that I will be staying in Japan for 6 months and 3 days...... I would simply rebook my and my boyfriend's flight, but his cannot be rebooked.

I panicked and contacted the Japanese embassy in Germany, my university in Japan and the immigration bureau to ask if I can add a tourist visa for 3 days to my student visa/extend my student visa for 3 days, but NO ONE could give me a definitive answer and it always sounded like it's not possible.

Has anyone done this before? I've read about people switching from tourist to student visa, but what if it is the other way around? I just need the permission to stay 3 days longer...

I've also read about people leaving the country for a few days and then coming back to receive a new tourist visa, but this sounded like quite a risky method because they pay extra attention to people who try this and sometimes deny them entry.
by Lin (guest)  

Re: Extend student visa with tourist visa 2020/3/4 17:38
If the relevant authorities were unable to give you a definite answer then nobody can. Ultimately visa extensions, status changes, etc. are handled in-country so you should try to get it taken care of well in advance (do not under any circumstances overstay). If worst comes to worst then a quick return trip to Korea or somewhere else is indeed a good way to take care of it. People do this all the time, if you don't give them any reason to be suspicious then there is no need to worry about being denied entry. I would be concerned about doing multiple visa runs to extend stay in Japan for a long time, but ONE visa run, and with a ticket for travel back to your home country too? No need to worry in my opinion.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extend student visa with tourist visa 2020/3/4 19:28
I agree with LIZ, that a single Visa run to Korea will not draw any issues. I would do it at least a week earlier that your exit date, so that you can purchase a JR pass for travel.

I donft believe people on a Student Visa can purchase a JR pass, and wanting to travel around the country after taking classes even makes sense.

Re-approach the people you contacted, and explain it that way, and see what they say.

Good Luck, in planning your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread