Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 08:06
Hey I booked my trip to Japan from mid April to mid May and to be honest I'm a little worry if I have to cancel it. The thing is, as I love cheap travel I usually hitchhike around the country to feel another culture and have as many encounters with natives as its possible. So my question is, I know the situation with virus, not so many people are infected yet, but a lot of events has been canceled lately, and government even closed schools for some time. My friend was hitchhiking in Japan for half a year, and she told me most of the times it was just fine, and even if authorities wake you up in the middle of the night, they let you stay and tell you to leave in the morning. They just basically check if you're not homeless person or illegal foreigner in Japan, and it happened to her only 3 times during her whole journey. The problem is, because of virus and actions to prevent from further spreading I'm afraid it probably won't go so smoothly. It's really hard decision for me as I planned this trip for almost 2 years, but I don't want to have any legal problems during my trip, otherwise postpone it for another year when I will just lost money and had long preparation would be disaster for me. Have a nice day guys :)
by Arthadel  

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 11:29
It's difficult to say how smoothly it's going to go. Naturally because of the coronavirus some (not all) people are going to be more hesitant about letting people in their cars. But I have to ask, what kind of legal problems are you anticipating that coronavirus is going to cause you?
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 11:57
I'm just thinking about accomodation, because mostly i will use manga's cafe, couchsurfing and just simple tent, as far as first 2 options are fine I don't know what authorities can actually do if they see you sleeping in tent, even if you don't bother anyone. I heard only about simple questions they ask, some document's check and they give permission to stay overnight. I'm curious if the police can do something more, than taking you to police station in worst case scenario.
by Arthadel rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 12:21
Others know this better than I - but Japan does not have a hitch hiking culture. I'm also not sure about the legality of pitching a tent wherever you want.

In general - there are few places you can tent for free in Japan unless is one of the hiking areas. I'd ask these questions and ask for more clarification from people on the forum before I'd even consider the Corona Virus. I've never attempted this so my knowledge is limited.

When it comes to pitching a tent - most people have no spare land in the cities and unless your in farmland which has limited public transport then you will find it difficult. Most farmers also tend to be older and have very limited English skills as it's probably not a highly important skill needed for their job.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 12:41
I'm just thinking about accomodation, because mostly i will use manga's cafe, couchsurfing and just simple tent, as far as first 2 options are fine I don't know what authorities can actually do if they see you sleeping in tent, even if you don't bother anyone. I heard only about simple questions they ask, some document's check and they give permission to stay overnight. I'm curious if the police can do something more, than taking you to police station in worst case scenario.

Well I don't think coronavirus is going to affect camping, couch surfing, or sleeping in Internet cafes. As long as you can find suitable places to do it, your experience should be no different than it would be if not for the virus outbreak. Is it really coronavirus you are concerned about or something else? I ask because I'm really struggling to see a connection between the coronavirus and camping outdoors.

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 14:03

Have you considered "hiking" not "Hitchhiking" as no one is stopping for you?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 15:33
I don't see it a problem as long as it is legal.
You should be more concern of last minute flight cancellation or self-quarantibe condition imposed on some countries' arrival. Thailand imposed on more than 10 countries.
by Solo60 rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 16:05
>>hMy friend was hitchhiking in Japan for half a yearg<<

Hopefully not on a 90 day tourist visa?
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 16:48
I think mfedley knows more about Japan than other posters.

I think hichhiking is more dangerous than the virus.
you will have more higher chance to get the virus at manga cafe, because manga cafe night users are poorer than other ordinary people and it is highly expected that they are less healthy than others. the areas are isolated, and less ventilated. so, the circumstance is similar to the cruise ship, the difference is the passengers on cruse ship are rich, but manga cafe users are poor.

of course, it is illegal to make a tent at other person's private area without permission and also on public roads and areas. you may not be arrested, but, police will warn you with strong caution.
generally speaking, local people will think that hitchhikers are poor and poor people tend to steal other's properties and foods, as same as other countries. clearly, you will not be welcomed to the society.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 17:29
You are more likely to be run over by a car than catch covid-19. Worry about likely events.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 18:51
I think mfedley knows more about Japan than other posters.

I think hichhiking is more dangerous than the virus.
you will have more higher chance to get the virus at manga cafe, because manga cafe night users are poorer than other ordinary people and it is highly expected that they are less healthy than others. the areas are isolated, and less ventilated. so, the circumstance is similar to the cruise ship, the difference is the passengers on cruse ship are rich, but manga cafe users are poor.

of course, it is illegal to make a tent at other person's private area without permission and also on public roads and areas. you may not be arrested, but, police will warn you with strong caution.
generally speaking, local people will think that hitchhikers are poor and poor people tend to steal other's properties and foods, as same as other countries. clearly, you will not be welcomed to the society.

Nonsense. Plenty of people hitchhike in Japan without others assuming that they are poor criminals. I hitchhiked from Aomori to Tokyo a few years ago without issue. There are not as many hitchhikers as in parts of America or Europe, but to say you will not be welcomed in society is totally untrue.

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/5 19:15

I hitchhiked from Aomori to Tokyo a few years ago

That was then ( many moons ago?) However, with the current coronavirus outbreak, giving a stranger a lift might not be a risk any driver would be willing to take.
by Hanami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/6 01:24
After spending half million yen,if not more ,including return air fare....etc etc no foreigners came in Japan for hitchhiking, if hitchhiking is one and only priority. If we have ability to spend half million yen,including food cost,then why we can't spend some more yen for rail pass, though JR nation wide pass is not absolute necessary, Local/regional rail /bus pass is sufficient.
Another note:ken San is absolute correct. This thread was not created to criticized someone.This thread was created, as Op can visit Japanese island smoothly.so he will save necessary yen or wait some more years for visit Japanese island,instead of hitchhiking.
by Roh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/6 16:29
Regarding the accommodation, I'd be looking at the JNTO website, Camping in Japan, where they have an extensive list of camping sites throughout Japan. Some are very well catered for. \1000 per night average. Police won't trouble you there.
With your own one person tent, don't think coronavirus will be an issue.
by Kersy rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/6 21:21
I'm so glad that you have camping sites in Japan, so I will definitely use them. I have 300k yen for my entire trip, exclude plane ticket so I should be good to go with couchsurfing and this camps. I just need to make my itinerary in next few days, I will probably use one of already made and add few things to it. My general idea is to avoid big cities, so I'd like to spend just 2-3 days in Tokyo, and another 3 in Kyoto ending my trip in Fukuoka when I have plane back to Tokyo 2 days before the end of this trip. I don't think I have enough time to go near Ibusuki and go back to Fukuoka for a plane. I have 34 days in total so I'm going to send some itinerary in next few days 😉 I have only one question, because I will probably use night buses from time to time, how much can i save if I book one earlier than in the same day, it's hard logistic, but if I can save some serious money I should do it.
by Arthadel rate this post as useful

Re: Hitchhiking in Japan and coronavirus outbreak 2020/3/7 06:53
That was then ( many moons ago?) However, with the current coronavirus outbreak, giving a stranger a lift might not be a risk any driver would be willing to take.

Maybe true, maybe not true. But I was responding to the assertion that Japanese people think hitchhikers are poor people who are going to steal their property, which is demonstrably false.

reply to this thread