Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/11 16:30
Travel insurers are not covering the medical cost of Covid-19 as it's a "known event". Any idea what the cost of a hospital stay might be for a visitor if diagnosed with Covid-19?
by Judith (guest)  

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/11 17:06
Unknown. Every hospital is different.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/11 18:09
Unknown. Every patient is different and it depends totally on the treatment you might need. One pill or ICU for a week...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/11 18:39
I was looking into this a bit today.

My insurance (for a trip in 2 weeks) will cover me for cv19 unless it is declared a pandemic or epidemic. Now at the moment the WHO hasnt declared either which doesnt necessarily mean that the insurer in question will not (as their definition is under their PDS rather than adopting any announcement by the WHO). But you would expect the insurers to follow the WHO, and whether or not they will declare it to be a pandemic is the subject of some debate.

My insurer's position is that anyone who bought insurance from 31 January knows about cv19 so essentially they take the risk.

I dont have any direct knowledge, but it seems from some searches that Japanese hospital costs are not outrageous, depending on the facility. Travel insurance help lines will probably assist in getting you into one if you are ill, before the diagnosis.

The median incubation period is currently said to be 5.1 days, with most cases showing within 11 days. The relevance of this to me is the risk of symptoms showing up before I get back home. Ultimately in a 2 week holiday it means that the real risk period is the first week or so. So essentially if catching the virus during a 2 week holiday is a one 100,000 thing, the risk of ending up in a Japanese hospital is half of that.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/11 18:48
If you get sick for a known disease like common flu, then a good travel insurance covers the cost. But flu or covid-19 and insurance would not cover cancellation fees. It depends what you want covered.
Cancelling a trip for flu or covid-19 isn''t covered - discretionary - your choice.
Expenses directly related normally covered - consults/hospital - like any illness on a good travel insurance.
Discretionary quarantine costs - unlikely.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/12 04:57
Well,now that it is labelled a pandemic most insurance will exclude the cost of hospitalisation regardless
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/12 05:04
WHO declares coronavirus a pandemic
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/12 08:54
To be honest, if you get covid-19, the chances that Japan will test you for covid-19 is extremely low in Japan. Japanfs restrictions on testing is very severe, not only on the conditions but also on the daily number of tests allowed, which is in the double digits per prefecture.
You will likely just be treated for pneumonia without ever being tested.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/12 13:07

Japanfs restrictions on testing is very severe, not only on the conditions but also on the daily number of tests allowed, which is in the double digits per prefecture.
Would the Government try to conceal the real infected number by doing so?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hospital cost for Covid-19 2020/3/12 13:20
Japan is indeed concealing the number of infections.
Prefectural quota for tests can be seen here
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/10900000/000607190.pdf

The number of tests allowed is extremely limited, for example Tokyo only allows for 125 tests max per day.
To qualify to be considered for a test you must have severe pneumonia. Then you must consider the testing quota. So even if you get virus the chances of you receiving a test is in Japan is next to 0.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread