Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Coronavirus and Work Visas 2020/3/14 13:08
So I am supposed to go to Japan in a couple of weeks to work as an ALT (did it a few years ago and loved it). Since I have my work visa all ready, I'm ready to go, except one big thing; my company won't give me a straight answer on the questions, "I understand that the plan is for classes to resume in the beginning of April, but with the ever changing situation with the Coronavirus, will there be a possibility of us going without pay for extended period of time? Will I get paid no matter or will we not get paid if we're told to stay at home?" I don't want to arrive in Japan to just be told to stay at home and do nothing and just drain my bank account. I've asked this a couple of different ways, sent out a few different emails and it always seems I'm getting a run around, not getting a straight answer and I'm honestly getting to the point where it's freaking me out. I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me?
by Coolone (guest)  

Re: Coronavirus and Work Visas 2020/3/15 14:17
Definitely an unprecedented situation. Don't have answers for you but perhaps check other JET support groups too or here: https://www.reddit.com/r/JETProgramme/comments/falckq/megathread_covid...
by apparition rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Work Visas 2020/3/15 20:11
The JETs in my city are still at work, despite there being no students. So I believe, but am not positive, that they are still getting paid their full wage. If they are mandated to stay home at any time, they would then receive 60% of their pay. I know that current employees are supposed to be receiving 60% of their pay at this time if they are told to stay at home by their company. However I don't know how that translates to people who have not yet signed a contract and started working, and I don't know if that applies to part-time workers, or contract workers like ALTs. Also, some companies, especially smaller places, are seriously pressuring their workers to take unpaid leave instead of paying them, banking on the fact that their workers don't know they have the right to 60% of their normal pay.

I'd take a look at the aforementioned reddit threads, and also find the teachinginjapan reddit, and perhaps the japanlife reddit (be careful posting there as a non-resident though) and seeing if you can find more info on your situation.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread