Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cultural Visa Sponsorship Rescinded 2020/3/14 15:40
I am currently in Japan on a Cultural Activities Visa. My university in the US has entered into an agreement with a company to take me on as an intern. However due to COVID-19 my university is recalling me back to the US. They are going to let my employer know and I assume my employer will notify immigration as such. If I choose to stay in Japan what will happen (eg. how long will I be able to stay, will they call me in for an interview, etc.)?
by TomRyan (guest)  

Re: Cultural Visa Sponsorship Rescinded 2020/3/15 09:09
So your internship has been cancelled/terminated, and you are not working at your employer any more.

You too need to inform immigration that the internship has ended within 14 days of that happening. They might ask you what you plan to do, or might assume that you will just leave soon.

If you want to stay a while to travel in Japan, you need to go to immigration while your current gcultural activitiesh resident status is valid to apply for a change to gtemporary visitor.h

It is unlikely that you find another sponsor for an internship, so I donft know for what other reason you want to stay in Japan - in any case, never overstay the resident status you have.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural Visa Sponsorship Rescinded 2020/3/15 09:25
Ok, that's what I figured but it was tough to tell because all of the other forums I looked at were seemingly the same question but about work visas so I wasn't sure what my timeline was. Thank you so much!
by TomRyan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural Visa Sponsorship Rescinded 2020/3/15 11:27
Not that I have direct experience with "cultural activities" status, but I have no reason to believe that anything about its operation/rule application should be different from other "employer-sponsored" resident status. Best wishes.
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread