Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shimanami Kaido questions 2020/3/18 03:14
Hi,
I would like to do the Shimanami Kaido by bike with my mother.
Our plan is arrive in the morning at Onomichi, and there rent a bike and do the route to Imbari then return to Onomichi by bus.
1.- Is possible to put the bike in the bus? I heard that there are a Shimanami Kaido Cycle bus but only on the weekends and we plan to go on wednesday so we will have to take the bus that stop at Innoshima Ohasi bridge. I ask because my mother if it's possible would like an electric bike and I read that this type of bike is not possible to return in other terminals like ther others.

2- Is possible to do this in one day visiting some places in the route? I heard that take around 5-6h but maybe if you stop will take some more and it's not compatible with the return bus.

3-Would you recomend to visit something in particular during the route? Because if there intersenting sites to visits maybe we would stay another day.

thanks in adavance, and sorry for my English.
by Andrea (guest)  

Re: Shimanami Kaido questions 2020/3/18 10:42
「 Is possible to do this in one day visiting some places in the route? I heard that take around 5-6h but maybe if you stop will take some more and it's not compatible with the return bus.」

Doing the whole course in one day with sightseeing stops along the way would be a pretty tight schedule. Maybe not impossible, but tight.

My wife and I did the course as an overnight trip a few years ago. Arrived at Imabari in the morning, stopped at a museum along the course on the first day and went to a public bath that evening. The next day we checked out Okunoshima (rabbit island) in the morning and another museum, and just barely made it to Onomichi in time to return the bikes. We weren't pedaling at a breakneck pace and stopped for lunch and occasional breaks, but even still, if you're planning to do some sightseeing along the way (i.e. not just keep pedaling forward), I'd recommend doing the course in two days.

「Would you recomend to visit something in particular during the route? Because if there intersenting sites to visits maybe we would stay another day.」

Okunoshima (rabbit island) is awesome and adorable. Not on the cycling route itself, but the ferry port is just a short detour off the main route. We spent about two or three hours there.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido questions 2020/3/18 14:45
I did cycling there a few years ago.
I stayed at Onomichi on the previous day and get on the ship for Ikuchi-shima.
And I rent a electric assist bike and went to Omi-shima and went aroud that island.
I went to the Samurai museum near Oyamasumi-shrine.
I was impressed to see the long swords used by Japanese pirates.
After that I came back to Ikuchi-jima and got back on the boat to Onomichi.

http://www.cyclonoie.com/shimanamikaido-e.php
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido questions 2020/3/19 20:51
wow, biwakoman, tnx for the link!
I should be in Japan right now, but as many, had to postpone. And the bike trip is definitely still in plans.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido questions 2020/3/22 09:18
I did Shimanami Kaido 4 years ago late March.

I think is doable if you go very fast but I don't recommend doing the whole thing in 1 day, you won't have time to stop and enjoy the scenery. I did it in 1 day and a half, started from Onomichi and stopped some km from Setoda town where it was my acommodation Setoda Private Guesthouse. And next day I woke up early and finished at Imabari where I took a train back to Osaka.

At the beginning and end of the routes there are many ship factories so there's not much interesting to see. But the islands in the middle are nice, I did really like Setoda town where I spent some time eating ice cream and walking around. There's a temple called Kosanji there which was quite nice. And also some km from Setoda town there's a small shrine and a beach called Sunset Beach.

I hope this helps you.

Have a nice trip.
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread