Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reside in Japan 2020/3/18 16:16
Hi everyone,

Overall background: My goal is to live in Japan permanently. I am about to graduate from a bachelor degree specialized in statistics at an age of 22 and wish work in Japan as early as possible. The reliable ranking information of my university is around the same as Osaka University. I speak fluent English but am not a native speaker. I am capable of N1 Japanese as well as several months of data related internship. I might be trying for some professional certificates as well. I don't have a very desired GPA. My favourite outcome is to obtain a programming job which sponsors a work visa, or even apply for The Highly-Skilled Foreign Professional visa after a few years.

However, here are my a few doubts which I could hardly find any desired answers on the web. Any helps would be very much appreciated!
1) I noticed there are some job posting sites. However, I believe it is better to reside in Japan first. Some people looked for a job during language schools or English teachings. May I please come to know whether I can find an English teaching or translator job easily with this background?
2) Just wondering, do most Japanese employers value masters much on science field?
3) How hard it is to find a job as an entry level information technology career as an individual like myself, in Japan? I heard that it is demanding, but don't know much about the details.
4) Based on my dream, are there any other possible paths by any chance?

If anyone finds my plan is unreasonable, may I sincerely request you to make opinions, please. Thank you so much in advance.

Again, any ideas are pleased!

Many thanks,
Joseph
by Joseph (guest)  

Re: Reside in Japan 2020/3/18 18:47
1. Definitely easier to apply for jobs with current residency status (note: this is different from just coming as a tourist and just applying). Some people do start out at eikaiwas first just to get their foot in the door with a visa. But it is ideal to have an employer sponsor you from overseas directly for the job you want.
2. Do you want to work as a data scientist? Masters would be helpful. For programming jobs, experience would matter more.
3. Tricky since companies don't usually want to put in the effort to hire from overseas just for an entry level employee. But try companies like Rakuten and some startups.

More reading:

https://www.tokyodev.com/2011/08/19/finding-a-job-as-a-ruby-developer-...
by apparition rate this post as useful

reply to this thread