Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does SOFA visa can give me work here too? 2020/3/24 16:21
I am a fiancé of a U.S. Navy and wefre planning to get married very soon.
But, my visa here in japan is only limited to my working place (designated activities visa) that is why we are currently in a LDR.
Itfs so hard for us to see each other every week cause we need to travel 4hrs by shinkansen.
So wefre thinking to get me a SOFA visa.

My question is, can i still work in japan? or even just a part time job? Is it okay? Or can i have part time job also at the base? We want be near of each other but I want to have a job too.

Please give me a good answer. Thank you. God bless
by Kristel Kaye Aragon (guest)  

Re: Does SOFA visa can give me work here too? 2020/3/25 09:25
If you intend to stay in Japan for more than 90 days, even having a SOFA visa you need to apply for an appropriate work visa (e.g. engineer). SOFA does not give you work rights in Japan.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Does SOFA visa can give me work here too? 2020/3/25 18:01
I'm not sure I completely understand your situation, but it sounds like you were already working in Japan before you got engaged to your fiance, who is stationed in Japan and living in the country on SOFA status. Is that correct?

SOFA itself does not grant you the ability to work off-base. You would, however, be able to apply for on-base jobs, since those are, in legal terms, being performed on U.S. soil.

As to whether or not acquiring SOFA status would void any pre-existing Japanese work visa you possess, I'm not sure, and you might want to consult your local immigration bureau for a definitive answer.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does SOFA visa can give me work here too? 2020/3/25 22:39
Yes, you can work off base with SOFA.
Ask your fiance to ask the legal affairs office on base.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread