Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan without HS diploma? 2020/3/30 05:41
Hi, I'm 18 and I don't have a proper high-school diploma. On top of that, I only have 10 years of formal education instead of the usual 12. I've researched about student visas to go to a vocational school/language school in japan but they all seem to require either of those. Ideally, I'd like to work in Japan, not study. I'd like to do anything, in any industry. (As I am young, I'm not quite sure what I aspire to do as career)
I just want to know if there's anything I cam do in japan without HS diploma, cause trust me I'd be happy doing anything. I just need a visa and an opportunity.

Thanks!
by Zoe Bellas  

Re: Japan without HS diploma? 2020/3/30 08:49
NO.

Unless you married a Japanese national and obtain Spouse of Japanese National.

Read this :
https://www.juridique.jp/immigration.php
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan without HS diploma? 2020/3/30 08:53
trust me I'd be happy doing anything.

Well, then get yourself a HS diploma and then come to Japan for language studies and after that university. Or do university in your home country and try to come then.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Japan without HS diploma? 2020/3/30 09:08
You can get a high school education quite quickly and easily as an adult in most countries. I did it years ago in my 20s at a college that was local to me at the time. Then if going to a brick and mortar university isn't an option then look into getting a degree at home. The UK has the Open University which is generally excellent, I'm sure there are equivalents in many other countries. A degree is a degree and immigration don't care where it came from (as long as it's accredited).

Basically there is a tried and tested pathway to working in Japan. Following it will yield much better results than looking for back doors. Indeed some people in Japan do not have degrees or diplomas (or Japanese husbands and wives). But these people are the exceptions to the rule. You're very very young so get your education taken care of soon if you can. Japan will still be there when you graduate, and you'll probably still be young.

Good luck.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan without HS diploma? 2020/3/30 23:12
Quick Note:

I do have a diploma, however its a level 2 BTEC, which doesn't seem quite so useful considering I've only got 10 years of education. It *is* a diploma, but it's very specific. (Aviation) Is there still no use for it?
by Zoe Bellas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan without HS diploma? 2020/3/31 00:18
High school diploma is a term I mostly associate with North America. BTEC is a British qualification which is different from an American diploma. Realistically you can't use your BTEC in Japan. Immigration requires a degree or sufficient experience in whatever industry you work in. That said if you have GCSEs + a BTEC National (or alternative Level 3 qualification equivalent to 3 A Levels) then you do in fact have a complete secondary education, which is the same as a high school diploma.

Assuming that this is the case, what's stopping you from going to university in the UK? If you can't go to a brick and mortar uni then I highly recommend enrolling with the Open University. You could start as soon as October. Student Finance England/Wales/Scotland/NI can offer loans to cover tuition which you don't have to pay back until you are earning reasonably good money. You can study at your own pace. If you make a full-time job of it then you can finish in three years, part time students usually finish in six. Most importantly, it's just as good as a degree from a normal uni (obviously not as good as one from an elite uni, but also a lot better than a degree from some lower-tier unis too).

Thousands of people before you have tried to find ways to move to Japan without checking all the necessary boxes. Some succeed, but it's very very rare. Please do this the right way. You can wait a few years. Visit for a holiday in the meantime.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread