Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Non-accredited bachelor for visum? 2020/4/11 05:09
I obtained a bachelor's degree, a master's degree and a doctoral degree from University of Sedona in philosophy.
I also have an associate's degree in law from a Belgian college.
Furthermore I have a postgraduate certificate from an English college in strategic management and leadership.
I studied in three countries over the last 4 years.

Can I use my bachelor's degree in philosophy from the University of Sedona, Arizona, USA, to apply for a Japanese visum?

I would like to work as an English teacher or a French teacher in Japan.

I speak Dutch, English and French.

Kind regards,
by Vincent (guest)  

Re: Non-accredited bachelor for visum? 2020/4/11 14:07
if you already know your university (?) is non-accredited, you should not try to use this degree for visa application, because it is simply that you waste your time. I believe that immigration has a comprehensive list of schools of accredited and non-accredited.
I don't know what the immigration will do next, after denying your application, but I am not surprised that they may put your name in their yellow-card list, which shows potential criminals of illegal entry, because they don't waste their time in your next-time application.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-accredited bachelor for visum? 2020/4/11 14:30
Can I use my bachelor's degree in philosophy from the University of Sedona, Arizona, USA, to apply for a Japanese visum?

Obviously, you don't seem to understand how the Japanese work visa process works. You can't apply for a work visa just like you order a Big Mac and then you are free to go looking for any job you want. First you need to find a company willing to give you a job, you need to meet the immigration requirements (degree....). Then the company files for a work visa in your name at the immigration office.
by T.K. (guest) rate this post as useful

Reply to Ken (guest) 2020/4/11 15:10
@ken(guest) I have completed a lot of modules from a bachelor's degree in law. This resulted in a short program bachelor's certificate. Can I include this in my visa application? It's from an accredited college that is legally allowed to award government recognized bachelor's degrees.
Aside of this I also have my complete associate's degree in law awarded by a government accredited college as well. Finally, I also have my postgraduate certificate in management, also from a government accredited institute.
Could all these documents combined make a strong case for a visa in Japan?
by Vincent (guest) (guest) rate this post as useful

Reply to T.K. (guest) 2020/4/11 15:14
@ T.K. (guest)

I know that an employer has to sponsor one's visa. The employer must provide the certificate of eligibility for the visa. I'm looking for an employer currently.

Aside of my non-accredited bachelor's degree from University of Sedona in Arizona, USA, I also have a couple of accredited degrees and certificates.

These include:

Undergraduate certificates on bachelor's level resulting in a short bachelor's program. This was in law.

Associate's degree in law.

Postgraduate certificate in management.

Can these make a strong case for a visa together?

by Vincent (guest) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-accredited bachelor for visum? 2020/4/12 00:55
generally speaking,
1. organization should be accredited by the government. self-announcement as university, college, or school, is not eligible.
2. you need to finish ONE systematic program which takes normally for 4 years to complete it.

therefore, you are requested to show ONE certificate. (in Japan, students, who graduate universities two times, are extremely rare.) immigration requests that foreigners have higher education similar to Japanese.
when you accumulate the certificates of short programs, it does not mean you finish ONE 4-year entire program. ( they know some countries offer only 3-years university education. in that case, 3-year education will be fine, because there is no opportunity to have 4-year education. )

3. when you say you have a master degree, you are expected that you complete 4-year university education and 2-year graduated school. you need to prove it.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-accredited bachelor for visum? 2020/4/12 08:10
In America, where Sedona is located, universities are not accredited by the government, just FYI.

It's easy to check if an American school is accredited by checking an online database. I wouldn't put any degree from Sedona on a resume unless you are trying to get a job at Sedona.

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-accredited bachelor for visum? 2020/4/12 08:41
A full degree programme is three years in many countries. You need to do a a full programme at that level. Trying to combine a bunch of other things to say "hey, I've done lots" doesn't actually count.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Non-accredited bachelor for visum? 2020/4/12 08:44
I think Ken is overcomplicating things a little. It's actually totally binary; either you have the required degree or not, the means of obtaining it doesn't matter at all. For example, a degree from the Open University in the UK taking possibly 6+ years to complete is perfectly acceptable for immigration because it's a real (accredited) degree. A degree awarded by one institution taking into account previous study at another institution is also perfectly fine because it's a real (accredited) degree. Like I said, you either have it or you don't.

By the same token, they won't accept collections of certificates, diplomas, sub-bachelor's degrees even if they do add up to a complete degree in terms of credits or study hours. You could complete 1,000 modules at the best universities in the world and it wouldn't matter; you need a complete degree. If you have other stuff on top of that - additional degrees, certificates, etc. - then that's fine, it won't hurt your case, but it won't help either.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Reply to customtoursjapan 2020/4/12 08:50
Dear customtoursjapan,

I'm not trying to trick anyone or misrepresent myself.

My credentials are equal or greater than those of someone with a standard bachelor's degree.

I have a two year associate degree, completed multiple undergraduate certificates in one and the same field, more specifically law.
I also have gone on to a postgraduate study which has a prerequisite of a bachelor's degree usually.

It's not like I'm incompetent and trying to wing it.

Japanese government would do a better job if they judged credentials on a case-by-case basis instead of autistically trying to screen for the words <<4 years>> or bachelor's degree.

Most of my education has been completed in Belgium and in the UK. Two countries that are known for having very high standards in education. Higher than the United States. Not that I'm looking down on the US, certainly not. Have completed a bachelor's, master's and PhD over there in metaphysical fields and certainly enjoyed my time there.

Kind regards,
by Vincent (guest) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-accredited bachelor for visum? 2020/4/12 10:40
I wasn't implying you were trying to trick anyone, just saying that a bunch of certificates or post-graduate work/quals/diplomas don't cont towards obtaining a recognised university degree qualification. I certainly have a few of those and also a post-graduate professional qualification, but the core is a full/proper bachelor's degree.
You've got various qualifications, and the Japanese government is not being obtuse in having standards - most countries have requirements for recognising qualifications - I certainly had to provide good evidence when I obtained my status of residence a few years back, and while having a solid undergrad degree and Masters helped, for the category I was applying for, I needed a lot more than just those.
But, with all your study, you want to simply be a language teacher in Japan?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Reply to JapanCustomTours 2020/4/12 11:00

I just want to be a language teacher.
For Japanese business companies you need to know their culture in more sophisticated ways than if you were to work for a school. As a westerner I will not understand their culture by simply studying it. So to start with, observing their culture by working and living there will help me. Once I'm more used to and attuned to the mentality in Japan, I can maybe take a leap and apply for a job in business management.

Maybe even taking a 2 year senmon gakko in evening classes and working during the day.

by Vincent (guest) (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread