Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reserve Shinkansen before getting JR Pass 2020/4/12 17:04
Hi,

I am from Singapore, and planning to take the Shinkansen from Narita airport upon arrival to Akita.

I will be purchasing the JR Pass in Singapore (thru official agency), and exchange the actual JR Pass at Narita airport (at one of the designated booths).

I know that reserving a seat on the Shinkansen can only performed upon receiving the JR Pass.
My questions are:
1. Will I end up not having a seat if I am to reserve the Shinkansen only upon arriving Japan (as I am travelling in a family of 4 persons)?
2. Is there a way to reserve the Shinkansen seats prior to me arriving Japan?

Please advise.

Thank you.
by KevinKan  

Re: Reserve Shinkansen before getting JR Pass 2020/4/12 19:20
I know that reserving a seat on the Shinkansen can only performed upon receiving the JR Pass.

I don't think so. Shinkansen trains in eastern Japan, including the shinkansen from Tokyo to Akita, can be reserved before you purchase the rail pass at the following website:
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/co...

However, seat reservations can only be made from 1 month before travel date.

2. Is there a way to reserve the Shinkansen seats prior to me arriving Japan?

Besides the method mentioned above, you could also purchase the rail pass via the new JR website that will be opened on June 1, 2020. With a pass purchased through that website, you will be able to make online reservations before arriving in Japan.

It is all explained here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html#ticket
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Reserve Shinkansen before getting JR Pass 2020/4/12 19:57
Thanks Uji-san.

I have checked the JR-East website and it seems that they do not allow collection of the shinkansen reservation tickets on the actual day.. What a pity..
by KevinKan rate this post as useful

Re: Reserve Shinkansen before getting JR Pass 2020/4/12 23:09
Have you already booked your plane tickets? If not you can fly all the way to Akita, often for the same or less than the train costs if booked as a single flight. (It will have a stop and plane change at a major airport, probably Haneda). That would give you a reservation all the way.

If you take the train, youfll also need to transfer to the Shinkansen at Tokyo or Ueno station.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread