Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 00:53
Hi all - hoping to get throughts on the location of the new Marriott property, mesm Tokyo, opening at the end of this month. It is located just south of Hamrikyu Gardens, and looks like about a 3 min walk to Takeshiba station, 10 min walk to Hamamatsucho station, and a 15 min walk to Shiodome station.

We fully realize that this will be a bit of a quieter location, but are thinking that the hotel being new, large rooms (especially possibility of a suite upgrade), and good redemption value (200k Marriott points for 5 nights) may outweigh the location. However, I am hoping to get some input here as I don't want to feel like we're totally in the middle of nowhere for 5 days.
by Seth C (guest)  

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 08:23
Just look at a map for your answer. 10 minutes from Hamamatucho is far from the middle of nowhere.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 08:33
Yes, I looked at the map. I have heard from other sources that some people that stayed in the area (IC Tokyo Bay for example) thought the area seemed disappointing, unpleasant, and utilitarian. I am not sure if they simply favor other places but thatfs why I was looking for additional input.
by Seth C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 08:37
Well, it depends on your definition of gmiddle of nowhereh. I think itfs a bit of an inconvenient location.

Background : my office is in Shiodome and when I go to Tokyo I stay in a hotel between Shinbashi and Daimon. (Livemax Shinbashi). That hotel works great for me , specially room 707 to which I seem to have a subscription seeing that I already stayed there 4 times. But I travel alone and for long time (last time I was in Tokyo it was 6 weeks) and cherish the washing machine, dryer and small kitchen in that room. (As well as the hotel staff who welcomes me back upon checkin). Also that room albeit small is very well organized with a cupboard and some drawers so that I manage to store everything I have with me for 2+ months of business trip out of sight. My only gcomplaint g is that they donft have a bicycle parking lot.

I know the area around Takeshiba station and there isnt a lot ongoing there except the pier for the Harbour cruise. So youfll always need to walk to Hamamatsucho before you find restaurants and convenient transport hub. Now the question is if 10 min walk every time you want to go somewhere seems far or not, and what are the alternatives.

Hamamatsucho is a good station if you arrive at Haneda airport (two different direct trains) and also if you want to take the Shinkansen (just a few stops to Shinagawa or Tokyo).

So I think it comes down if you want a big room (are you going to be that much in the room?) or a more convenient location.

BTW, the Shinbashi livemax isnft in a very convenient location either as itfs a bit of a walk to either Shinbashi, Daimon or Hamamatsucho. But for me it works as I walk to the office and the rest in Tokyo I usually do by bike.

Enjoy your trip to Japan and stay safe in the meantime!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 08:43
Utilitarian : yes, there are warehouses and the port and office buildings
Unpleasant : well, I wouldnft say outright unpleasant but I wouldnft qualify it as a specially pleasant location either. At least less so compared to looking at a map. It would seem to be in a pleasant location with the park in front, but with the warehouses / harbor etc around itfs not specially nice.
Disappointing: depends on your expectations

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 08:45
Thanks, LikeBike. Really helpful info. The challenge is that I am committed to staying in a Marriott property, but the options in Tokyo do seem to be limited from a location perspective. The next best options for us would likely be the Prince Sakura in Shinagawa or the Westin near Ebisu station. Ifm unsure the degree to which either of those would be more convenient and if itfs worth switching away from a potentially nicer room.

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 08:45
Utilitarian : yes, there are warehouses and the port and office buildings
Unpleasant : well, I wouldnft say outright unpleasant but I wouldnft qualify it as a specially pleasant location either. At least less so compared to looking at a map. It would seem to be in a pleasant location with the park in front, but with the warehouses / harbor etc around itfs not specially nice.
Disappointing: depends on your expectations

Also Takeshiba station isnft the most useful station itfs on the Yurikamome line which is quite expensive and not covered by the metro pass. And only rides out to Odaiba (and further afield to even more warehouses and industrial parts of the city. A station on the Yamanote line is definitely preferable

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 08:53
The next best options for us would likely be the Prince Sakura in Shinagawa or the Westin near Ebisu station.

I personally would NOT stay in Shinagawa. That place is only convenient if you come from Haneda or plan to leave towards Kyoto/Osaka pretty soon.

Ebisu sounds better. Itfs a nice area with the Yebisu beer factory museum and lively parts of the town around Ebisu and Meguro station.

But it depends what you cherish most. Big room or somewhat nicer neighborhood.

Now that you know how the area around the Takeshiba hotel is you can manage your expectations.

The Takeshiba neighborhood isnft doggy or anything like that. I am perfectly happy to walk/ride through it alone at night. So there isnft really a wrong choice you can make (except in my opinion Shinagawa).

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 09:24
Yes, I looked at the map. I have heard from other sources that some people that stayed in the area (IC Tokyo Bay for example) thought the area seemed disappointing, unpleasant, and utilitarian. I am not sure if they simply favor other places but thatfs why I was looking for additional input.

It's hardly the most glamorous location but being right next to one of the nicer gardens in Tokyo I think you could do a lot worse. I don't think the area is unpleasant, I think it's just a normal part of Tokyo. It's far from being at the centre of everything but I think it probably depends on what you want out of a hotel. Personally I see it as a place to sleep, occasionally eat, and not much else. With that in mind I would rather stay there than somewhere like Shinjuku. Presumably you will be spending most of your time in other places. Ten minutes from Hamamatucho (or any Yamanote Line station) means you are never more than 30-40 minutes from the majority of the most popular tourist destinations. I suppose convenience is a matter of perspective but my perspective is that I fail to see how any Yamanote Line station could be considered inconvenient. Just my opinion.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 09:45
Hi!

I just stayed during my last trip at Shiodome. I liked it quite a bit. I'm not going to Japan for nightlife outside of restaurants so I actually prefer the area. I do like Ebisu. But I admit, you would have to pay me to stay in Shinjuku.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 09:57
Thank you all for the insight. It sounds like itfs worth keeping our reservation at the mesm and looking at reviews once it opens this month. If those look solid we will keep it, otherwise will look at alternatives. Really appreciate all the input on the location.

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 17:26
So youfll always need to walk to Hamamatsucho before you find restaurants

I believe there's a new restaurant complex near there that opened a few months back, and there will be a new Atre shopping/restaurant complex opening sometime in May, so there's a bit more in the area than there was a year ago at least. I can't find a link right now, but the restaurant complex looks like it has a lot of outdoor seating that would be nice when the weather gets better.

Here's info on the new Atre: https://atre-takeshiba.jp/
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 18:09
I really like that area. We usually stay near Daimon (Mitsui Garden Italia Gai).

It depends how much you like walking, I think.

The Tsukuji Outer Market is still open, where I think there are restaurants, and you're also near Kyu Shiba Rikyu Gardens, which is small and lovely.

We walk up to Zozoji easily from where we stay, and around Shiba Park. Tokyo Tower is near there.

We have also walked up Ginza from Mitsui Gardens, though it's quite an urban walk rather than a touristy one.

Have a wonderful time in Japan!

by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 19:45
Umami Dearest - I think the mesm is actually part of that new Atre shopping center, or at least right next to it. So that makes me feel better that therefs at least something there. Thank you for the input!

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/14 23:07
Seth, you're welcome, and I hope the location works out for you.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/15 08:37
That new building is near the Hamarikyu Garden, but not close to the actual entrance. Also, it is not particularly far from Hamamatsu Station/Daimon Station, so pretty well connected. I know the area from some previous guests that stayed at the Intercontinental and they variously walked or used the shuttle bus. It wasn't an especially exciting spot, but it wasn't terrible either. If it actually opens at the end of the month, we'll see - possibly only some of it.

In terms of location, it's probably about the same as the Westin in Ebisu. If you are staying there one or two nights, it would be ok, but between that hotel and Ebisu Station gets pretty tedious quite quickly. Personally I avoid that particular Westin due to poor experiences (multiple), but I know other people have't had problems.

I've never fancied staying in/near Shinagawa Station - maybe overnight for an early start on the shinkansen. I think it has less on offer than many other spots around central Tokyo. Sure it is a busy station and transport hub, but has limitations for things like dining options. In the times I have been through the area over the years I think I've had lunch there twice because it was a good meeting spot. Even when I was in the area multiple times in February and the neighbouring Takanawa, it isn't a location I would pick to be a tourist in Tokyo.

If you are limiting to Marroitt properties, then you also have the poorly located Sheraton. They have a shuttle to the nearby station, but again, the area around the actual hotel is not great. I stayed there five nights a few years back - nice room, but seemed miles from anywhere.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: New mesm Tokyo hotel 2020/4/15 09:08
Thanks JapanCustomTours, that is very helpful. I do probably need to limit myself to Marriott properties, and it seems like if thatfs the case I could do worse than the mesm. I appreciate the insight on the Westin, Sheraton, and Shinagawa in general.

reply to this thread