Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/4/16 08:29
So when Japanese boys and girls address each-other, what do they call each other? Like, do girls call boys by their first name or last name? Same question for what boys call girls.
by Okie 👌 (guest)  

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/4/16 09:41
When I visit Japan without my wife,A Lot of time my Japanese female
Friend used Kanojo.
and my wife ask about kareshi ,when she is alone.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/4/16 10:12
I've only talked to elementary school girls and when I showed them photos of their classmates, they only say the family name.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/4/16 10:23
Refer to each other by surnames.
When super besties or in relationship. Then first names might be used.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/4/16 15:14
Or actually some nicknames. Eg I had a friend in university he was called Matsubara but all friends called him Matsu

Or I have a female friend and her nickname is Taro-Chan. (Although Taro is a typical male name). There is a long history behind her nickname.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/4/16 16:15
It totally depends on their age range, relationship and even personality. I am an old Japanese girl, and I've called boys everything from nickname to surname+kun/san to words that mean "hey" or "pardon me".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/5/13 09:52
Uco should not be calling herself a girl. Please.
by gwan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/5/13 10:37
I second Uco's sentiment: it depends on the individuals, so it's different form person to person. Among my Japanese friends, many of them go by first names with no -san, -chan or any other suffix, even when talking to a friend of the opposite gender.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/5/13 14:49
Gwan,

I am sorry if I offended you in any way. Could you kindly enlighten me by telling me what I did wrong? I know I need to learn.

https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=old+girl

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/5/13 15:49
Uco, better just ignore the trolls
:-)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/5/14 00:40
Do you know, why my Japanese Female friend ask me about Kanojo
all the time?
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/5/14 09:19
Don't sweat it, Uco. Nothing you need to learn except that some people like to start fights for no reason other than making someone else feel bad.

Thanks for your many, many helpful posts, and look forward to reading more.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/5/14 10:40
Thank you for all those who addressed me. You all are very considerate. I did not feel bad, however. I do not think I should be, because I am not a native English speaker. I was just confused. I did look up the dictionary before I wrote that I am an "old Japanese girl", but maybe I should have written "Japanese old girl" instead. I just wanted to express that I am Japanese, aged and female, which are all true. In any case, I wish not to disturb this thread any longer for possibly off-topic issues.

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/6/3 16:08
They mostly call each other using surnames. But if you are close friends, first names are used. It also depends if you are older or younger (use kun/san).
by MarLion rate this post as useful

Re: What do girls call boys and boys call girls? 2020/7/1 23:47
Uco, I think some people may look at you in an odd way if you call yourself "an old girl" unless you are joking. Usually, "girl" = young. and "woman" = old. So, "an old Japanese woman" will sound more natural than "an old Japanese girl". But that's quite okay. No issue here.

As for the poster's question, like some said, it all depends on your relationship with the other person you're talking to.
by FastBites rate this post as useful

reply to this thread