Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to pronounce my chinese name in japanese? 2020/5/5 20:08
Hi I would like to know how to pronounce my chinese name (何雪敏) in Japanese as I’m working there and would rather be called a name closer to my chinese name than make a new one completely. Please help me out!
by elixiere (guest)  

Re: How to pronounce my chinese name in japanese? 2020/5/6 12:06
「か(何)せつびん(雪敏)」です。
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to pronounce my chinese name in japanese? 2020/5/6 14:48
If you want to know how the individual characters are pronounced using the Japanese readings, it is (as written by the earlier poster), it would be “ka setsu bin” (going by the “on” reading).

何 “ka” (on-reading), “nani” (kun-reading)
雪 “setsu (on-reading), “yuki” (kun-reading)
敏 “bin” (on-reading), “toshi” (kun-reading in people’s names)

But your name is your name, no matter where you go. You can just take the original pronunciation of your name in Chinese, and romanize it for people to pronounce the way it comes. There is no need to change your name it at all.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to pronounce my chinese name in japanese? 2020/5/6 18:03
I recommend you to follow the Japanese pronunciation, ie., Ka Setsu-Bin, or Kā Setsu-Bin (Kā with long vowel <a> to make it easier for Japanese people to pronounce).
One reason is that, officially , China and Japan adopt the principle of reciprocity concerning the pronunciation of persons’ names. Therefore, even the name of the top leader of your country is pronounced in Japan, in Japanese way, Shu Kin-Pei (シュー・キンペイ 習近平), far from the real Chinese pronunciation, Xí Jìn-Píng (approximately in kata-kana, シー・チン・ピン with no Chinese intonation), vice versa.
And if I add one more reason, Chinese pronunciation of kanji characters in general is extremely difficult for ordinary Japanese people to pronounce properly. In your case, this would not be necessarily right.
I remember that in the textbook of Chinese language (basic) I used, there was a mini-conversation concerning persons’ names, and there, a Japanese person’s name was pronounced in Chinese way, 池田宏(いけだひろし) Chí Tián Hóng (チュー・ティエン ホンg)[我怎么称呼您/你可以叫我池田宏]. If this is Chinese pronunciation of my name, even if it sounds too strange for me, I will accept it in the context of Chinese life. I suppose your name is pronounced Hé Xuě-Mǐn (フー・シュエミン) if I am right, so if you insist to be called as much as possible in similar way of Chinese pronunciation, since you are not in the official situation, you can ask people to call you <フー>さん.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to pronounce my chinese name in japanese? 2020/5/6 19:07
Having worked in Japan for m any years, with many Chinese coworkers, I don't know of them who adopted a separate pronunciation of their name for when they speak Japanese.

Asking how to pronounce your Chinese name in Japanese is like a person from Mexico or Spain asking "My name is Juan. How would I pronounce that in English?" Juan's name is pronounced Juan, regardless of the language he's speaking. Just because English and Spanish share the same letters/characters doesn't mean he needs to change the pronunciation/spelling when using English.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to pronounce my chinese name in japanese? 2020/5/7 09:27
Totally agreed with "by ... (guest)"

Why make it so complicated. Just katakanized the pinyin reading and keep it as close to the pinyin reading. Rather than using the weird sounding on-yumi to introduce your chinese name.
The same goes to Chinese people reading Japanese name in chinese reading. The name just come out weird.

何雪敏 = Hé xuěmǐn ?? >> フゥー シュエミン

何Hé : フゥー(ァ)This is slightly a problem since there is no "é" katakana reading.
https://zh.hatsuon.info/word/%E4%BD%95

Try this to check out katakana pinyin reading.
https://zh.hatsuon.info/

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread