Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo immigration 2020/5/6 02:58
Hello,

It's my first time applying renew visa in tokyo.
I heard some bad things about tokyo's immigration.
Are they really rude and heartless?

by smoothie (guest)  

Re: Tokyo immigration 2020/5/6 12:23
I've never been to your specific ward's immigration office - but I've never heard them as being rude and heartless.

They have specific regulations to follow - so they follow the regulations given to them. To put it simple - if the law states that you can't renew your visa because of <<insert rule here>>, crying and being upset won't change their minds. The choice to renew visas are not decided by them - but by the criteria given to them.

If you have your paperwork and everything in order - it will probably be quick, painless and efficient.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo immigration 2020/5/6 14:44
So you are in Tokyo, and you are going to the Tokyo Immigration office in Shinagawa to renew/extend your resident status?
Then as far as I know, they have become quite friendly and courteous over the years. They are not grude and heartlessh at all. Just be ready with the required documents, then it will be no hassle at all. (Ifve been there many times with my spouse.)

By the way, if your resident status is expiring in May or June, due to COVID-19, they are allowing people to apply later for renewal/extension so as to reduce congestion at the immigration office:
http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001316300.pdf

Check for updates here:
http://www.moj.go.jp/EN/nyuukokukanri/kouhou/m_nyuukokukanri01_00003.h...

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo immigration 2020/5/6 23:30
their decision has made as governmental organization, not by one officer.
there is a guideline to issue visa and resident status.
although many foreigners post troubles in this forum, most (probably all) are derived from applicant's faults or misunderstandings, etc.
as one of Japanese, when I read their website, information is conclusive and straightforward, and easy to understand their requests. (in some cases, they add supplementary comments.)

don't selfishly interpret their sentences, and develop logical reading skills !
then, those kinds of paperwork will become easy and you have no trouble at all.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread