Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where can I find those Japanese school bag? 2020/5/6 20:53
Hi!

I am going to a trip in Tokyo with my friends (again!) hopefully once this virus situation is better. Anyone knows where can i get one of those school bags which i always see Japanese students carry everywhere? I love the boxy shapes, but they seem a little more suitable for children due to their proportions. If anyone knows where i can get an adult one it will be great!
by Natalie (guest)  

Re: Where can I find those Japanese school bag? 2020/5/7 10:08
Note that these backpacks can be very expensive - often they are bought for children to use for their whole school career as they cost so much! A common "starting school" gift from grandparents, for example, and the child is expected to keep the bag pristine for their whole schooling life.

You can find them in department stores. They're more prominent around April, when the new school year starts.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find those Japanese school bag? 2020/5/7 10:19
uoften they are bought for children to use for their whole school career as they cost so much! A common "starting school" gift from grandparents, for example, and the child is expected to keep the bag pristine for their whole schooling life.v

If you're talking about randoseru, those are only to be used during elementary school (grades 1-6 in Japan). You're completely correct about them being expensive, usually bought by the grandparents, and the kid being expected to take good care of it, but once Japanese kids get into junior high school, they stop using randoseru and usually switch to a more mature-looking shoulder/messenger bag.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find those Japanese school bag? 2020/5/7 10:23
They are called 'Randoseru" and can cost from 30,000 to 60,000 Yen and even higher. They are purpose-built for children aged 6-12 and I'm quite certain finding "adult" sizes would be very difficult. Most companies that make them cater to children, but there may be entrepreneurial folks who see the value in starting to build adult sizes for the foreign interest. I have not looked into that though. Good luck.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find those Japanese school bag? 2020/5/7 12:37
Apologies, I should have been clearer about "school/ing" - younger years!
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find those Japanese school bag? 2020/5/7 16:25
Just to add, since the authentic randoseru is designed for children of age 6-12, it can often be physically uncomfortable or even impossible to wear for those who are older.

Meanwhile, nowadays, a lot of bag companies are making "randoseru for adults", which are available on-line as well as at malls and each brand's stores. Prices are about 20,000-100,000 yen.

Back in the days, randoseru were not as strong as they are now, and most of them wore out after three or four years of kids carrying them to school and back and throwing them around on the way. Nowadays, they are extremely well-made, which also means that it can take a lot of space.

Here is a Google Image search result showing randoseru of all kinds and how it looks like inside.
https://www.google.com/search?q=randoseru&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ve...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find those Japanese school bag? 2020/6/3 16:43
Does OP mean a physical shop? There are a number of online shops but havenft transacted with them. I'm also kinda interested now haha are there people who have trusted sites?
by MarLion rate this post as useful

reply to this thread