Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Degree? Check. Language? Check. Now what? 2020/5/10 00:15
I want to work and live in Japan at some point in the near future and I'm not too picky about what type of job or the pay or anything like that. I plan to stay for a duration longer than 3 months, maybe a couple of years (or even much longer depending on how things work out) and gain a better understanding of the culture and put all this Japanese skill to good use.

I've been learning Japanese passionately since high school, so I have about a decade of learning experience and I'm quite confident in my skills by now. I passed the JLPT N2 with ease two years ago and I feel like I could take on the N1. I'm constantly critical of my Japanese ability, but I can hold a conversation and probably impress an interviewer or two. I also graduated from a four-year university with a bachelor's in Economics.

It's often said that the two biggest barriers for working in Japan are A) A major four-year degree and B) Language ability.

I'm 27 and I've gotten those two basic requirements out of the way. Now what? What's the next step? Can I simply hop over (as soon as this pandemic clears of course, I'm not in a rush) and start applying everywhere? What are my options?

I don't have many special skills other than the degree and the language, just some experience working in sales. I have some charisma and get along well with people but I cannot code or do anything fancy like that. Would it help to pick up some special skills like coding or teaching or something like that? Possibly accounting? Maybe I should leverage my sales experience and find a job in marketing.

Regardless, how exactly do you go about that? I looked over gaijinpot and noticed that the overwhelming majority of employers prefer that the applicant be in Japan already. What constitutes the *must currently reside in Japan* requirement? Can you just stay at a hostel with a travel visa until you find something? Or do you have to be already working/studying/interning etc.? What are the best ways to find job openings while there and what do they look for? I'm open to any suggestions and long-term plans; my goal is simply to spend some decent time in Japan assimilating into the culture and making a few friends along the way.

Thanks in advance.
by Alex386  

Re: Degree? Check. Language? Check. Now what? 2020/5/10 11:04
biggest barriers for working in Japan are 。。。。

finding the right type of visa and a company to sponsor/guarantor.

A) A ̶m̶a̶j̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶r̶-̶y̶e̶a̶r̶ bachelor's degree

B) Language ability. (not really required but help depends on industry)

https://blog.gaijinpot.com/japan101/visas-and-status-of-residence/

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Degree? Check. Language? Check. Now what? 2020/5/10 11:36
"reside" means that you already have a resident status (so called as visa by ordinary people).
temporarily status (i.e. travelling) is not eligible.
all you need is to find out a sponsor company, which will hire you and take care of getting a working visa for you.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Degree? Check. Language? Check. Now what? 2020/5/11 06:24
Thanks for the responses. So I should keep searching online until I find an employer to sponsor me? I hear they prefer hiring people who are already there because it gives them peace of mind that they will stay and not move back. The longest I've stayed in Japan was one month for travel. Are there any tips for finding a sponsor while being overseas?
by Alex386 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread