Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About particle "no" 2020/5/12 02:38
Hello, (sorry I will be using romaji for this because I don't have japanese keyboard)
So I'm studying Japanese and I got into a problem I would call it brain lag. So basically I'm using app and I was introduced too particle "No" so first lesson was kinda easy and then I moved into second lesson and this is when I got a huge problem, I was introduced too "sono" "ano" "kono" because of it entire grammar style changed but the sentence meaning stays the same so it's pretty much impossible to tell when should I use ano or are. As example let's say (whose book is that over there)
So what I though I would say
"Are wa dare no hon desu ka"
But it looks like it should be
"Ano hon wa dare no desu ka"

So it's impossible to tell which grammar I should use if sentence is the same, how can I know? Is there a trick or something
by Menpo  

Re: About particle "no" 2020/5/12 08:54
The sentence you wrote says:
- Whose book is that?
And the other one says:
- Whose is that book?

The meaning is the same, just a different phrasing.
Maybe the purpose of that lesson was to try to get you to practice using gano (noun)h rather than gare.h That may have been the whole point.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: About particle "no" 2020/5/12 13:17
Ou I see now. Appreciate
by Menpo rate this post as useful

Re: About particle "no" 2020/5/12 20:48
Btw, I donft think that ano/are, kono/kore, sono/sore are related to the particle gnoh.

Maybe some old grammar connection, but are/ano etc are pronouns , like gthis thing thereh while gnoh is a particle somewhat like gofh in English. Not no in itself has no meaning. Itfs just to connect two words in a sentence.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread