Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Interview Nightmare 2020/5/17 20:42
I recently interviewed with a Japanese company. It did not go well and after going over it a few times in my head, I'm not sure how legal some of the commentary was.

--

Background: I came to Japan to meet some clients and an employer I had an unofficial offer from in the beginning of March. The offer was rescinded, due to COVID's impact on the tourism sector, and I was ultimately stuck here. I had planned to relocate anyway, so I've been hunting for jobs. My husband is still stuck abroad, but he'll also be coming over once his contract finishes later this year. We've both lived in Japan before his work took him out of the country, so we're not new to the rodeo.

--

The interview was scheduled really quickly. As in, they called me back the day after I applied and asked if I could come in the following day at X time. I thought it was a little odd that they didn't ask for my availability or anything, but I just told them when would be best for me. I -was- apprehensive about an in-person interview, but it seems some companies haven't decided to adapt to the situation.

The first half of the interview went fairly standard, although seemed unusually thorough. They asked me the standard questions of like, how's your health, why I'm interested in the position, where I live, etc. But they also asked me about my parents (and their health), my brother (and his health), and about my husband. They were a bit surprised, but seemed to understand that the situation with COVID has sort of made a lot of folks' plans change. The one thing they didn't really understand was why I was moving from Yokohama to Chiba, but I didn't think it was an issue.

Then they both get a bit nervous and call in the company president for the last half of the interview.

I didn't understand why they seemed anxious until I met him. He was the rudest Japanese man I've ever met (so far). He didn't use ’š”JŒê (polite speech), during an interview, and even referred to me as ‚ ‚ñ‚½ (casual/rude form of "you"). Some of his questions *were* valid ("Why don't you have N1? Don't you want to challenge yourself?", "Why do you want to work here?"), but they were always followed by backhanded insults.

On the health note, I'm currently healthy, but I previously had surgery. That set him off, since apparently you can't ever be healthy again if you've had surgery (?) and he went so far as to say that in Japan, they just give you medication to fix the problem I had - which isn't true, since it was a Japanese doctor that recommended surgery to begin with.

At one point, he just kept saying I couldn't use Japanese - despite the fact that the entire interview was conducted in Japanese and that he confirmed I worked in two Japanese offices in the past. That comment got some surprise out of the younger interviewer, but he understandably kept his mouth shut. Now, my Japanese isn't great, but it's most definitely not terrible. I'm admittedly weak with reading, but he had one of the guys pull out a formal business proposal and wanted me to read it aloud, as if that proved I could do the job or not (which was supposed to be working with their foreign customers). He wouldn't accept a summary of what was written either and threw his hands up on the first reading I got wrong.

He tore down my achievements, saying freelance work isn't a job and that if I had so much free time, I should've been studying for the N1. (I was more focused on my freelance projects, many of which are actually noteworthy...but he had a point insomuch as I could've been improving my language skills.) He actually said that they had a lot of applicants from my study abroad program and they were all N1 - which is 99.999% a lie, because that program was dissolved close to a decade ago due to it being so bad; the students joked about it constantly.

He also got weirdly focused on why I was apart from my husband, saying that I'd just leave whenever borders opened back up. He wouldn't accept any answer I had - topping it with "You're a selfish wife, aren't you?". That was kind of what cut me the worst.

Oh, and he forced me to remove my mask in the office, so that was a thing that happened. During a pandemic.

--

Sooooooo yeah, I made it outside and around the corner before I let myself cry. It was definitely more of a mental beat down than an interview. I've generally had positive experiences interviewing in Japan, so it was very much a shock.

My husband and I were wondering if it was just because I was married, since that was definitely a point of fixation for him, or if they did that to all their applicants...and if so, just how legal is that?
by MarriedWoman (guest)  

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 08:52
It sounds like a horror company with a horror president. Sometimes you just get unlucky and have such terrible encounters. I don't think there is much you can do about it except being happy that you didn't get hired.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 11:14
Personally, it's Japanese style IMO.

Having a few years of working here in Japan under my belt, the rumors of Japanese bullying others , I feel, is true. From what I can gather from your post, they are trying to find just one thing "wrong" about you, and start to criticize everything else you've done and it snowballs out of control.

by BigBoyTeddy rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 11:51
None of his commentary and behavior is illegal. But I would never like to work with him if I were you. Interviews are opportunities to observe and evaluate employers also from your side. I guess he didn't want you, but decent interviewers just finish the interview politely and refuse the applicant. He doesn't need to be rude.

There are many companies that treat you properly. Just forget about it and move on.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 14:28
"You're a selfish wife, aren't you?"

That alone sounds illegal to me. I feel sorry for the younger interviewer who has to deal with that president. I hope that tomorrow will be a better day for you.
https://bizuben.com/saiyoumensetsu-ihou/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 14:56
@Uco
You may be saying it's illegal picking up "you can't ask about the applicant's family and property". But it's very common and acceptable to be asked about the family situation from the perspective of if the situation will affect the work or performance of the applicant. What the law intends to is not there.
That comment, in this case, was rude and unnecessary. He should have shut up even if he thought so, but it's not the matter of legal/illegal.

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 15:25
In a certain way you can be happy that it was so clear in the interview that you will never ever want to work for this company. Has you just interviewed with the two employees, you would have had a normal impression of that company. And then youfd have gotten all that abuse once ON the job.

So yes, the experience was terrible but also helpful in you knowing that this company isnft good for you.

And frankly the Japanese I know, wouldnft take that for long either if they can get a new job. Japanese arenft masochistic or anything.

To the previous poster saying that this is gnormal g in Japanese companies, well it certainly isnft normal in my company and as you say you worked in Japan before gbuth you were shocked by this interview, well you know itfs not normal in Japan.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 15:46
@LikeBike
If you mean me by "previous poster", read what I wrote before commenting on it.
I never said that comment in the interview was normal. It is normal to ask if a married applicant has a child, if there is someone or daycare that takes care of the child if the answer was yes, and so on.

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 17:02
It was a pity the first interviewers did not have the courage to pre-warn you about their boss. He obviously has them intimidated as well. Consider yourself fortunate not to be hired.
After sitting there being belittled by the head honcho, I would have finished the interview with one question- does being arrogant, self-centred and rude come naturally to you or are you undertaking a course of study on the subject?
No doubt you will find a position in the future which comes with a respectful working environment, to which every employee is entitled to.
by couldabeen rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 17:43
Thank you for your support! I've had a bad employer before, but I didn't think ones this bad still existed. Alas, I was reminded that they were indeed. I'll just have to move on, since I wouldn't accept an offer even if one came.

@Uco

Thank you very much for the link! I'm not sure how much it actually relates, but I actually forgot that they did ask me about whether I had any outstanding loans, as well as my father's job, my brother's job, and both of their locations. It struck me as odd but it was overshadowed by everything else that happened. They were weirdly interested in my living situation/why I was moving from Yokohama to Chiba too.

@couldabeen

I thought of so many witty comebacks on the train ride back, but unfortunately in the moment, I was too shocked to formulate something good. I just tried to handle it with as much grace as I could, because I was worried he was looking to get a rise out of me.
by MarriedWoman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 22:34
you may feel better, when someone agrees with your opinion.
but, they are ‰ÎŽ–ê‚ÌŒ©•¨l.
your urgent purpose is to find a job, as soon as possible, for you and your family.
as you already know, it is worst timing to do that.

generally speaking, in interviews or any meetings, they want to know that you can communicate with them or that you can co-operate with them.
also, you need to have skills to ignore someone's unpleasant speakings, it may happen frequently when you speak with your clients (customers).
again, you need to have a skill of ‘ål‚̑Ήž.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 23:13
To the guest,

@Uco
You may be saying it's illegal picking up "you can't ask about the applicant's family and property".

No, as I wrote in italics, I was literally referring to the president's "selfish wife" comment. If that is not power/sexual harassment, I don't know what is. I don't know why you thought I was picking up "you can't ask about the applicant's family and property". The comment was about the applicant, and not her family or property. I mean no offence to the guest. Just clarifying.

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/18 23:42
@guest, no, I was not referring to you but to @BigBoyTeddy who wrote g Personally, it's Japanese style IMO.h
Which I donft think is true.

To OP, good luck with the job hunt!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/19 00:32
@Uco
I don't get your standard of harassment. You protected another person who called a Japanese poster Yoda just because he was nice to you. It's not ok. Racism is racism and harassment is harassment, right?
And I don't think "selfish wife" is sexual or power harassment although it's rude of course. This can be harassment in your mind, but "Yoda" is ok? Hmm.

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/19 01:24
again, you need to have a skill of ‘ål‚̑Ήž. <i/>

are you implying that they were just trying to test her and see how she reacted to unpleasant treatment? so it was all a set up and OP failed... because you know, japanese people are never rude or wrong, right? yep, that must be it

lol, you always try so hard to justify rude and bad behavior when it's coming from japanese people
by many (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/19 02:48
I must have done something terribly wrong to put the guest in such confusion. But my communication ability is so poor that I have no words to comfort the guest. It's so so so sad. I would just like to send lots of love and hugs to everyone on this thread including the guest. I wish you sweet dreams instead of nightmares.

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/19 07:55
Consider it a lucky escape.
Yes, there are still terrible people in business like that in Japan and elsewhere.
A horrible experience, but people learn from those, possibly more than they learn from good ones.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Interview Nightmare 2020/5/19 09:38
So many miscommunication between the posts.
In anyway a company treating an person who is applying for work is not worth working for.
Consider you saw the true nature of the president of the company, and that you can move forward in finding a better company.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread