Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/21 20:03
Hello, Ifm moving so finally I can change my crappy internet provider.
Looking for suggestions as to what works well and is fast, I binge Netflix and my boyfriend works from home so I want him to have a reliable connection.
by Mami (guest)  

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/22 07:52
Have you looked at a wifi router option? I have unlimited high-speed connection for around (I think) 5000 yen/month through UQ Mobile, but there are others offering similar service.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/22 09:27
Not really, I want fiber optics I think. The old contract had so many fine print limitations, they always cut the speed.
by Mami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/22 10:14
if you want to keep freedom to change the provider, your choice is NTT only. you can choose one provider from many.
some companies offer a combination of provider and facility of their own, like K-opticom (now they changed the name, I think) and nuro-hikari.
k-opticom is only in Kansai area.
J-com is cable connection.

the answer will be varied, depending on your previous condition. generally speaking, optical fiber connection (even with cheap provider) is better than wi-fi connection. use high speed router and hubs with wired-connection.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/22 10:30
Thank you, I think our current one is AU . I tested it and on good days in the morning the speed is around 40 mbps in download which is fine, but during the evening or when they slow it down (which is often)is like 8 mbps in download ....sooo slow.
Wefre moving to a house, Ifm just looking for a provider that will actually give what they say and not randomly cut off our speed .

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/23 07:48
My current UQ service is 440 mbps, unlimited capacity, no fine print. My previous unit was 220 mbps, also unlimited - no speed throttling.
I do not know fibre speeds currently, but for my house in NZ I think it is maybe up to 75 mbps (used to be 15 mbps). Also, as it is portable, I am not tied to my apartment, I have high-speed, unlimited internet nationally when I'm travelling.

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/23 10:44
UQ limits you to 10gb in a 3 day period? Not really unlimited. You wont get anywhere close to 440mbps from what I've seen.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/24 07:33
I use 3-5 GB/day at the moment as I am re-watching old car racing - 3-4 hours for full coverage/videos. Never have any problem with traffic volumes on UQ. I also like that I can join 10 devices to the unit at the same time - also handy when travelling.
And as for speed, full HD streaming doesn't use anywhere near 440 mbps and that's just a headline figure for the device/network. Most people would be fine with 15mbps - bandwidth and how much you actually need is typically a lot less then people think. As an example, a full quality voice call only needs 3,000 bps (0.003 mbps). Even monitoring traffic volume on my PC it rarely gets to 1mbps - sometimes when sending large emails it goes up a bit, but not much.

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/24 09:45
OP, in your earlier post you mentioned that you had au internet connection, is it hikari/fibre, mobile or adsl? were you in the apartment/mansion then ?
with the corona and work from home, the internet is getting congested, so speed/stability may suffer nowadays.

Since you are moving into a house and want stability/speed, fibre optic internet is your best bet.
I changed from adsl-yahoobb 8Mbps(user for 10years) to au hikari1Gbps(so-net isp) last summer, been getting average 16ms ping, 200-400Mbps Download and 500-800Mbps Upload on direct lan connection.

Paying less than 4k yen per month, 3 yrs contract plus upto 600 yen for phonecalls (transfer ntt landline to auhikari phones, to take up their discount campaign etc). Got reimbursed 10k yen by au for breaking softbank-yahoobb contract.

Get Nuro if your place is within their service. Best rating for speed/stability.
Avoid wifi/mobile internet connection unless you want portability/nonheavy user s they are more prong to speed throttling and connection stability.

Check this out, lookout for campaign discount sign-up.
https://japan-internet.info/en/fiberoptics/fiber-optics-internet
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/24 12:52
Thank you!

Sorry I checked with my boyfriend and he said our current is UQ Y max. Of course the whole corona situation is not helping the line, but this service wasnft good from the get go. Yes the current line is in a mansion .

Yes I definitely want fiber, also I donft care about additional services like TV and phone not sure if that reduces the price or not.

Re: Internet providers in Kyoto? 2020/5/24 16:03
you can choose any one.
but, my advise is that you should think first how much is the fee of breaking contract, because, in many cases, they want to collect the equipment fee, when you disconnect the line. (so, apparently, initial cost is none or cheap. do not be trapped by their trick.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread